Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Newman View Post
why exactly do you only want to attract pro players
At first yes, because they come in to town early to practice and stay in town.

Of the 50 players we had at our first City funded tourney, the 20 pro players stayed an average of 2.5 days in town. amateur players were all in state except for a handful from out of state and almost no amateur players stayed the night.

It's just like at a ski resort, day trippers just don't make as much of an economic impact as overnight visitors.

Maybe after a few more events I can lure a big disc company to do merchandising and lure more amateurs that live more than 3 hours away.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
One thing to wonder about is, how many of those overnight players pay for their lodging? I'm sure at least some of them are sleeping in the spare bedrooms, sofas, and floors of local players. And some of the rest are doubling up (at least) in hotel rooms, so the hotel demand isn't as great as it may appear.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
One thing to wonder about is, how many of those overnight players pay for their lodging? I'm sure at least some of them are sleeping in the spare bedrooms, sofas, and floors of local players. And some of the rest are doubling up (at least) in hotel rooms, so the hotel demand isn't as great as it may appear.
Very true, luckily for me the local tourism commission doesn't require fine details.
I show them a breakdown of where players live, based on additional registration info I get from players at checkin, I get their address at registration and then share that info with the tourism Commission.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxchris View Post
At first yes, because they come in to town early to practice and stay in town.

Of the 50 players we had at our first City funded tourney, the 20 pro players stayed an average of 2.5 days in town. amateur players were all in state except for a handful from out of state and almost no amateur players stayed the night.
I'm curious how you go about confirming either of these things. Did you give your players a survey?

Quote:
It's just like at a ski resort, day trippers just don't make as much of an economic impact as overnight visitors.
Yes, but overnight visitors who bunk on their friend's couches and eat bologna sandwiches make less economic impact than ones who actually get a motel room and eat out. Its a simple ugly reality in our sport when playing DG is one's primary means of income (as opposed to something they do on weekends to supplement their day job earnings), things on the expense end have to rationed accordingly. Motel 6, Jimmy Johns and driving solo for 200+ miles are luxuries those folks can't often afford.

Quote:
Maybe after a few more events I can lure a big disc company to do merchandising and lure more amateurs that live more than 3 hours away.
Just hope your C&VB doesn't catch onto the truth about the demographics of our sport by then. It could come back to bite you.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
In Colorado, my friend and I make a point of playing one A-Tier a year (usually the CO State Championships) and we go all-out. Put in a 4-day pass, leave Thursday night and get a hotel for Thurs-Sat. We practice all day Friday, buy in to the obligatory Friday night dubs, eat out every meal and carouse at the local drinking establishments at night. Last year we even took in a local high school football game on Friday night (go Brush Beetdiggers!)

In 2012 our insividual budgets were around 600 bucks a piece.

We are amateurs, and I challenge you to find more than a handful of people who do it up like we do. But ot is out there..as long as the event is smoothly run and has a good reputation. Im fairly certain Ams have a much higher economic contribution than pros, but thats just conjecture.

Build up a good rep, run a few A-Tiers and set a goal of hosting a major maybe in 2016 or 2017. The sport is likely to show continued growth for at least that long. Dont try to rush things.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 176
Throwing Style: RHFH
so the plan for the city is: tax the people of the community and make payouts to touring pros, so that some of the money comes back to the town in the form of hotels, restaurants, etc.

people at city council really have too much time on their hands.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Par Member

[QUOTE=scarpfish;2202463]I'm curious how you go about confirming either of these things. Did you give your players a survey?

Quizzed all MPO/FPO players during the tourney. Took notes
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reposado View Post
so the plan for the city is: tax the people of the community and make payouts to touring pros, so that some of the money comes back to the town in the form of hotels, restaurants, etc.

people at city council really have too much time on their hands.
Lodging tax monies don't originate with constituents, mostly out of towners.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
In Colorado, my friend and I make a point of playing one A-Tier a year (usually the CO State Championships) and we go all-out. Put in a 4-day pass, leave Thursday night and get a hotel for Thurs-Sat. We practice all day Friday, buy in to the obligatory Friday night dubs, eat out every meal and carouse at the local drinking establishments at night. Last year we even took in a local high school football game on Friday night (go Brush Beetdiggers!)

In 2012 our insividual budgets were around 600 bucks a piece.

We are amateurs, and I challenge you to find more than a handful of people who do it up like we do. But ot is out there..as long as the event is smoothly run and has a good reputation. Im fairly certain Ams have a much higher economic contribution than pros, but thats just conjecture.

Build up a good rep, run a few A-Tiers and set a goal of hosting a major maybe in 2016 or 2017. The sport is likely to show continued growth for at least that long. Dont try to rush things.
Thanks...hoping to do an A Tier in 2014

Colorado...good place to be, I lived in Vail for 10yrs