Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
I'm trying to involve more hyzer flips in my game. I have a west side underworld 169g that will flatten out but not quite turn for me. I threw my friends 146g dx leopard, and got great distance but just turned into the ground at 350 feet. Any suggestion on other discs/plastics/weights I should try?
I thought that hyzer flips are supposed to go from hyzer to flat and then hyzer finish, not turn at the end...?

I have a 168g DX Wraith that absolutely must be hyzer flipped because it is so flippy it would just turn and burn otherwise. It needs to be thrown on a very extreme hyzer which can usually be a pain to dial in.

I did have the best drive I've ever thrown with this disc a few weeks ago but it started pouring rain immediately afterwards (on the first hole, no less) so unfortunately it was all for naught.

Also, does hyzer flipping actually give you considerable added distance? I have not had much experience with this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
I thought that hyzer flips are supposed to go from hyzer to flat and then hyzer finish, not turn at the end...?
In my mind, the finish isn't as important as the "hyzer flip" moniker. Some people would identify a shot that goes from hyzer at release to flat to turning then back to a hyzer finish as a "flex shot." To me, a flex shot is when I throw a moderately overstable disc with anhyzer to get it moving right, knowing that it will fade back left, resulting a lovely looking "S"-shaped shot. But since almost every disc eventually fades if given enough time, I don't distinguish the finishing part. If I throw it with hyzer, and it flips to flat or beyond, and I've done that intentionally, that is a hyzer flip in my book. I prefer it when it doesn't turn into a roller, and depending on the disc I use, sometimes it doesn't fade back much at all at the end. You may get different answers from different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Also, does hyzer flipping actually give you considerable added distance? I have not had much experience with this.
To me, anything that gets the disc to enjoy the "gliding" part of its flight for the longest amount of time is going to result in distance gains. My favorite distance drivers to throw are a Lat 64 GL Havoc (174g), a Glo Z Nuke (174g), and an older Champ Wraith (171g). The Havoc was right flippy out of the box, while the Nuke and Wraith needed time for seasoning. I find I get the most distance when I can flip them up enough to get them turning just a touch before they fade back.

Last edited by KenTyburski; 11-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
I think I just need to beat my Underworld in more, it's pretty much brand new.
So are all of mine. I stopped throwing em for a while. Too unpredictable. Working with Leo's before I start back on the Underworld next spring.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
I think I just need to beat my Underworld in more, it's pretty much brand new.
..begging your pardon, but if you are getting your DX Leo out to 350', or any disc out to 350' for that matter, you should have plenty of power to flip up an brand new Underworld. I'm not trying to rag, just stating the obvious….
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 85
^^Im going to have to agree, if you are flipping a 150 dx leopard and it is turning into the ground at 350 and you cannot flip an underworld, I think you might be doing it wrong. At 350' of power that leopard should roll at 100' out, so I am not really sure what is going on here. But the underworld is a very solid choice. Just keep working it in and you will be good.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
I am so inconsistent with Hyzer flipping , i just cant seem to get that perfect angle on the hyzer according to what shot i wanna throw
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTyburski View Post
In my mind, the finish isn't as important as the "hyzer flip" moniker. Some people would identify a shot that goes from hyzer at release to flat to turning then back to a hyzer finish as a "flex shot." To me, a flex shot is when I throw a moderately overstable disc with anhyzer to get it moving right, knowing that it will fade back left, resulting a lovely looking "S"-shaped shot. [...]

To me, anything that gets the disc to enjoy the "gliding" part of its flight for the longest amount of time is going to result in distance gains. [...] I find I get the most distance when I can flip them up enough to get them turning just a touch before they fade back.
CwAlbino's Glossary of shots

Agreed on both. Hyzer flip/Hyzer flat is something that is thrown on a hyzer angle and then starts turning. If it stops at flat, it's a hyzer flip-to-flat, if it keeps going and starts to turn, it's a hyzer flip.

A flex shot is something thrown with anhyzer, usually an overstable disc, that will then flex out of the line either because it has a positive HSS or because of its heavy LSS - Firebird, Hornet, Eagles, or Rhynos in my bag's case.

As for glide, I agree that a hyzer flip/flip-to-flat is the easiest way to increase one's distance. Discs naturally rise when thrown on a hyzer-flip/flat (because you're throwing them at or higher than their cruising speed, which then in turn causes them to act more understable than they are), which in turn gives loft, increase glide, etc. My longest throws on flat ground have been either with a seasoned DX Teebird that needed to be thrown on a hyzer (~15-30 degrees), will flip flat, and then fly dead straight, or a thrashed DX bar stamp Gazelle that needed lots of hyzer angle, still flipped and turned, and then faded back in a nice "S" curve. Almost makes me want to get a fresh one in the bag and throw each of them instead of an Eagle, but I prefer Eagle's wind-fighting HSS.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
for me :

beat in pure
beat in aviar
comet
leopard
valkyrie
beat in nuke ( it flies like a SS )