Disc Golf Store
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Very very interesting.

On the one hand, in my opinion, a re-design could produce a fabulous course. Maybe two. It's a great property.

On the other hand, there's some doubt how much more traffic it could generate. There is still the issue of its distance from populations of disc golfers, and its cost. There are fine courses in Charlotte, the Upstate, and the Columbia area; how often would players forego the closer free courses to to to Union?

But I sincerely hope it happens. I'm only an hour away, and would love to play a great course there every once in a while.
If River Chase had all 18 on the front or the back where walking the course was easier, I would think they could come up with a design that would be worth the drive.

The county owned ball course where I work is considering Disc Golf. The course is losing money regularly. Our proposal has 18 holes over the 9 ball golf holes...because to offer and make it with pay to play you have to offer something special.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 628
Throwing Style: RHFH
I would say Rate the course on your Experience(S) had there. If it only happens to be in tourney play note that, i usually note what position the pins where in when i review if course has multipile pin placements.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post
I would say Rate the course on your Experience(S) had there. If it only happens to be in tourney play note that, i usually note what position the pins where in when i review if course has multipile pin placements.
Note that in this case, it wasn't different pin placements. As I understand it, it was an entirely different layout with different, temporary baskets.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sometimes, you only get to play a temp course during a tournament. In which case, I would definitely still rate the course. Take Rapid Run in Cincy every couple of years for instance.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
I rated the Optomist course in Colorado based on the tournament layout we played the State Championships with. Many holes were the same, but there were a few that were not. I made sure to emphasize in my review that I was reviewing the tourney layout only. Ideally, this would help people who are looking to play a future tournament there.

I think it's far, just as long as you make it absolutley clear that you were playing a slightly different layout.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 101
Everytime I've play BRPs its been in the Majestic layout...not the regular layout. From what I understand in that case the tees are the same just the basket position changes on some holes. In the case or River Chase is was a completely different course and may never been in that layout again.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
If River Chase had all 18 on the front or the back where walking the course was easier, I would think they could come up with a design that would be worth the drive.
My brothers and I played it on the "grand opening" day and that was sort of our consensus---that if you put 18 holes on the front or back, and did it right, it could be a killer course. You could do it twice and have TWO killer courses at one location.

Of course, my imagination runs wild because I'm not a (ball) golfer so am uncertain what constraints are necessary to avoid detracting from the course's main business. Things like pace-of-play and staying visible to the golfers. There are places where holes could run through fringe area---opposite side of the cart path from the fairway, with the path being O.B.---that could add great technical holes to the open boomer holes.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Sometimes, you only get to play a temp course during a tournament. In which case, I would definitely still rate the course. Take Rapid Run in Cincy every couple of years for instance.
Unless you're playing a great semblance of the permanent course that any joe can go play on a daily basis, a tourney temp is a completely different course, and provided its used for recurring events, should have an entirely separate page for reviews.

About 25 miles from here we have a park with a permanent 9 hole course. Once a year, we have a tournament on it where we use the 9 baskets, but aim at them from completely different directions, and then add 9 temporary baskets to make an 18 hole course. For that course, I made an entirely separate page.

If someone were to play that tournament layout, and then reviewed the completely different permanent course due to that experience, they would be doing the site a disservice.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 8
So I've decided to not rate the course. That said, here are some random thoughts for those considering a trip to River Chase IMO...
There's a TON of potential for the property. Unfortunately in my case it's set up for big arms. Anyone that can throw long will enjoy the track. Those looking for technical shots, tree obstacles, etc will be disappointed.
It is definitely unique to play disc on a ball golf course. I don't think I would make the trip to play it on any random day however. For one, it's not close to any other courses. Having to pay for play on such a flat monotonous course (again, my opinion) wouldn't be worthwhile.
If there's an opportunity to redesign and co-exist with ball golf they should consider using some of the wooded space instead of flat, open fairways.