Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
I did get a chance to play interlocked over thanks giving. It is a fun course and has alternate tees to keep it interesting. Thanks for reminding me. If it's not too windy, and rest of the group is up for it, I will have to try my luck at badlands again. Tees are shorter for the winter, and have a fighting chance for a scratch round. That and it hasn't bored me yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 36
Yeah Its tough to break even there. I have duced most of the holes there but a few are are still out of range (10,13,18 come to mind) My lowest score over all 27 was +5 and that was with 8 birds. So its a fight even when Im taking some 2's!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
a 25' putt is easier and safer than a 100' upshot.
Which amazes me when it comes to seeing so many people blow that advantage.

Another thing that a lot of people seem to forget. When a 'distance challenged' player is left with a lot of shots in the 75'-150' range, they get a lot of practice at that distance, and become very proficient at it. They even drain one on occasion. On a number of shorter courses, players that can drive the hole aren't often left with that kind of shot unless they shank the crap out of it or nail a tree.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
Put it all to the test this week end. And the most important thing to lowering ones score is....... All of the above. I hit some better than average drives , made some longer than average puts, made par on mediocre drives, found some ob..... All added up match my best on home course. If I didn't find a few birds , due to longer than average drives and a couple of longer than average puts, I would have been closer to +10. Scrambling for par here and there, taking my boge and moving on , accepting bird opps with out trying to force it and some course management. So, I guess , the only thing missing in the equation is consistency . It felt like a sloppy round, and the wind was blowing a bit, but few birds kept me alive, but too many bogies. That's the game, when it all gos well in one round, you can improve your best. So consistent, average distance, will suffice for better than average scoring . And it all hinges on making a few puts. I will see a par round at my local course before the end of next season!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
What is the general thought around here....what defines a newb, intermediate and advanced player? I have my first season under my belt and have improved over all but seems like everyone on here is throwing putters 300, mids 350, and drivers 962ft......... But when I play at popular local course, seems like maybe top ten percent are throwing those distance categories. What kind of scores should accompany different classifications? Looking for recreational opinions, not a link to dga or something like that.
Newbs struggle to make the disc do what they want. They also don't know what is even possible with a disc. Poor distance, poor course management. Poor putting, inconsistency mars any chance at low scores.

Intermediate players understand flight paths and angles but struggle to consistently make the disc do what they want. Mediocre distance, mediocre course management. Putting is generally mediocre and holds them back if they aren't throwing very good approach shots.

Advanced players understand flight paths and somewhat consistently make the disc do what they want. Enough distance to score well, decent course management. Putting is OK with high short range consistency with misses increasing heavily past the 30' mark.

Open/Pro/Top players consistently hit the lines they want, they throw the disc far, they have great course management. Their putting is reliable and consistent out to 40' and they make a reasonable number of >40' shots in a round.

I know plenty of players that can throw 400+ but can't make 5/10 from 25ft. Putting separates players that compete in advanced from those that win in advanced and move up to open. Distance is not very important until you get to the NT scene. You can still throw 1000 rated golf and never throw over 400'. Reliable 350' drives, a solid midrange/approach game, and good putting will get you to the top of most B/C tier advanced divisions