Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
It really amazes me how people to go the extremes when discing down. Like only throwing a putter until they can throw it a football field. It just makes no sense to me. No I did disc down myself after about 4 months of playing and now it has been a year or so since I have. When discing down you should go out and throw whats in your bag and if what your throwing at full power doesn't match whats on inBounds or your turning your disc over you should get rid of that disc until your ready for it. Except for keeping a utility disc that fades hard you don't need it in your bag. Now, when you start throwing and turning over discs you haven't in the past then it's time to move up. I wouldn't really even call this whole process 'discing down' though. I would call it 'throwing appropriately'.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoate7 View Post
It really amazes me how people to go the extremes when discing down. Like only throwing a putter until they can throw it a football field. It just makes no sense to me.
With what I've been doing, I'm not trying to be a bad-ass and throw a putter 300ft. Additional distance certainly has come as part of the package, but that's not the intent. I just want to have confidence in everything I'm throwing. It's been working for me....like I said, not for everyone. /shrug
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 27
HATER ALERT!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

I disc down every time I play. Sure, I practiced for a while with nothing but mids and putters and will still play putter only for fun, but for the most part, discing down is built into my game. It's not about trying to look cool throwing putters, or at least it shouldn't be. It's about throwing the right disc for the shot, and for me, that's almost always the slower disc. I'll throw a putter on a 275' upshot, not because I feel that I have to, but because that's the most comfortable disc for me.

I played with mids and putters, and really built my form around them. I think for that reason, I tend to have trouble ranging drivers and even mids on shorter holes (less than 300' say, depending on the line). I play with a lot of people who use drivers a lot more than me, and sometimes I get an advantage because I throw the slower disc. Sometimes not (they beat me often enough).

If discing down seems like a chore to you and doesn't sound like fun, don't do it. But it is a great strategy on the course, it's not just a training exercise as some people like to think. You might not want to play a disced down style of game where you throw slower discs more often than faster ones, but maybe you would. And you wouldn't know whether that would work for you or not unless you try it. That's the reason to disc down, not because it's some kind of virtuous training exercise or a chance to flex your dg muscles and show off your form.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 12
Check my bag in my sig for a good disc down.

Pretty good discs to cover all the shots you need. Good molds in many plastics and stages of wear.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
With what I've been doing, I'm not trying to be a bad-ass and throw a putter 300ft. Additional distance certainly has come as part of the package, but that's not the intent. I just want to have confidence in everything I'm throwing. It's been working for me....like I said, not for everyone. /shrug
It has worked for him. And for me. Working on throwing putter bombs not only helps you gain more distance to show off for the ladies... It has made my fork really strong with all of my discs. I can now throw most any disc confidently bc I don't have near the OAT that I had prior to working out my putters.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.4
Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
I would guess around 90 percent of golfers try high speed discs before they are ready. So its very normal to do what you did. I even went as far as going down to putters mostly. It really helps your release, and form. And now I throw putters around 250'.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.4
Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickRhino View Post
My distance hasn't really suffered, and I feel like I'm getting much more out of these discs with increased control.Anybody else go through this, and if so how/when did you begin to put the warp-speed stiff back in your bag? Anyone else see this as kind of a common problem amongst a lot of players?

On a 450' hole, 225' + 225' = 350' +100'. And 225' shots are a more sure thing that 350's. Kind like pool. It's not only the shot, it's the leave.

As for fast stuff, about the only time I use mine is on a windy day.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 11
I used to throw a beast and a Valkyrie before I went to mvp. I now throw the amp, volt, and shock and get as much accurate distance as any of the others. I try my champion Krait once a month to see if my form and technique has gotten to that place and I still use the long fairways. I will train through the winter and wait until I can reach 370 consistently and then try the high speeds again. So I can relate completely!