Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
Because instead of having a bunch of advanced and pro players with overlapping scores, it leads to a more competitive single division. What's the disadvantage to my method?
You have Rec and int over lapping scores and Int / Adv overlapping scores. More often than not, the winner from the division below finishes about mid pack of the division above. Most divisions are filled with players that do not belong...ie the 890 rated play playing in Advanced or 920 player playing open.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluTDI09 View Post
1050 advanced player... not a bagger.
1050 advanced player...theoretically possible, but nonexistent. The highest currently listed Am is 998, and there are only 31 Ams in the entire world rated at 975 or higher.

Yeah, big sandbagger problem that we have there between MPO and MA1.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
you are capable of throwing a 1000 rated round thus you are capable of competing in Open

you are likely more probable of competing in open than not competing in MA1

I am capable of throwing a 1050 rated round. Anyone who can throw 300 feet and make a 25 foot putt is capable of throwing a 1000 rated round. I have met plenty of sub-950 rated players who are capable of throwing 1000 rated rounds. To me, that doesn't mean that they should all be playing Open.

I would agree with your second assessment. I am consistently competitive in MA1 because in my part of the country, half of the field in MA1 should be playing in MA2. And I can usually beat that half. The reason I play tournaments is to compete against other MA1 players, who beat me more often than not.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
1050 advanced player...theoretically possible, but nonexistent. The highest currently listed Am is 998, and there are only 31 Ams in the entire world rated at 975 or higher.

Yeah, big sandbagger problem that we have there between MPO and MA1.
Hey that 998 player is me! Im famous.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 34
Out of curiosity, where do you think the age divisions play into all of this. I started playing at 53 and played my first tournament at 54. If I wanted to play with folks my age, I had to play Advanced Grand Master which I was no where ready for. So instead I played Rec and usually had a bunch of teens and a few older folks. The first tournament I won Rec I was around an 875 player and the kid I beat was around 13. He actually had a melt down during the first round when he missed putts on consecutive holes. The other guys on the card (20's) ignored him so I acted like his Uncle and calmed him down. Should I have to expect to be a baby sitter in Rec when I would rather have played in an age protected division less than advanced? I can see that for many late bloomers to Disc Golf being forced to play against much younger folks is a detriment to some guys my age not wanting to play tournaments.

BTW after winning that tournament I started playing MG1 if that division is available and if not, then MM1 or intermediate. I just recently crossed the 900 barrier. Yeh Me!!!

Rick G
Old 08-03-2014, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
For a short while there were age-protected divisions below Advanced, but they tend to be very small and further fracturing the amateur divisions.

So you've got the choice of playing Rec or Grandmasters. As a GM myself, I see a lot of players who play Masters and Grandmasters even though, skill-wise, they're outmatched, preferring the society over the chance to win a lower division.

Though normally in Rec you won't be playing with 13-year-olds. He probably wished there was a junior division available for him, but it's the same numbers game.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 591
I don't totally understand why players of all ages and either gender at the same skill level sometimes feel uncomfortable playing together, especially since you're playing the course not each other. I understand the social aspects but we're talking about tournament play not rec play. When I played competitive chess, ages and genders were mixed and that was the norm.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I don't totally understand why players of all ages and either gender at the same skill level sometimes feel uncomfortable playing together, especially since you're playing the course not each other. I understand the social aspects but we're talking about tournament play not rec play. When I played competitive chess, ages and genders were mixed and that was the norm.
For me, tournament play is pretty social. Especially regarding the people I'm spending an entire weekend with. I get a lot of opportunity in casual play and local league to play with an assortment of ages.

At least as long as all these divisions are offered. I wouldn't mind if some tournaments dispensed with the age-protected divisions, forming larger ratings-based divisions. But as long as they're offering a choice, I'm choosing the best company.