Old 10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Weekend View Post
IMO there should be a rule enacted in the future so that the 2nd card and lead card can't have more than 2 holes btw them.
You mean like Competition Manual Section 3.2?

Quote:
A. All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her actions.

B. A player causing undue delays may be issued an excessive time violation by tournament officials. Please see PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf 804.01 Excessive Time regarding specific penalties.
Bottom line is that no matter what rule is on the books as pertains to pace of play, it's up to tournament officials (TD, marshalls, etc) to actually enforce them. There were seven PDGA marshalls on the course during the USDGC, and six of them were with the lead group by the time they reached hole 15 (got this info directly from the Tour Manager). For whatever it is worth, none saw fit to warn or penalize the lead card for their pace. That they fell behind for whatever reason is not why Feldberg blew up on 18.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Bottom line is that no matter what rule is on the books as pertains to pace of play, it's up to tournament officials (TD, marshalls, etc) to actually enforce them. There were seven PDGA marshalls on the course during the USDGC, and six of them were with the lead group by the time they reached hole 15 (got this info directly from the Tour Manager). For whatever it is worth, none saw fit to warn or penalize the lead card for their pace. That they fell behind for whatever reason is not why Feldberg blew up on 18.
The lead group was easily 25 minutes behind the second card by hole #9 (where I was flagging). From what I saw, delays were not due to speed-of-play by the competitors but from crowd control and camera coverage issues.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Right and Brinster might have gone OB had he pushed instead of throwing putter 3x
Might have, or he might have thrown in from the fairway for a deuce, but we'll never know. Bottom line is, Feldberg wasn't a lock to win even if he had parred 18.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
As someone else mentioned, if Feldberg hadn't done (relatively) poorly on Day 1 and Day 2, there would have been no question about Day 4.
When it all comes down to the end, you are playing the course, not someone on the Lead Card.
I understand that he may have played differently if he had been "closer" to the Lead Card, but that goes back to playing well enough on Day 1 and 2 to be on the Lead Card.

Any coach will tell you that you have to put yourself in a situation where you can win. Then you have to overcome obstacles to get the win.
I'm just not buying the Lead Card slow play as the obstacle that kept Feldy from winning.

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 10-17-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
If I was way better than I am and if I qualified and if I played out of my mind all weekend I could of maybe cashed.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
If I was way better than I am and if I qualified and if I played out of my mind all weekend I could of maybe cashed.
Call me crazy. But if you played your game, made the right choices, and stayed inbounds...you could cash now, New. Assuming you qualified, which is the kicker.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
I'm to terrible at playing safe to cash, I'd go for everything. I've still yet to play the course.. maybe next year.