Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 1153
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
This threads not too old, so I don't feel that bad for bringing it back up. Plus its a cool thread...

But, for the sake of not starting a new thread, I have a dog related question.

My dog listens great, and is for the most part well behaved. He's almost 3 now, and I want him to be the awesome disc dog that I have imagined and see on the courses. However, whenever he is with me and off the leash, he runs around like an idiot the whole time. He always comes back when called, but for the most part never stays around me. What have you other guys done to train your dogs? It gets quite annoying, and I sound like a broken record by the end of the round calling his name 40,000 times to get him to come back to me and stay near me
Obedience class. Do your research, find a trainer that teaches a line of training that you agree with - your basics are positive reinforcement vs negative punishment vs rewards based. Forest I trained with mostly positive reinforcement with a bit of punishment of negative.

It is well worth the $$ to go to at least your basic level obedience training - the instructor will teach not only your dog, but teach you how to interact and read your dog. And your dog will get social interaction with other dogs and people.

Basic obedience will lead you everywhere you want to go in training your dog on the disc golf course. From there you can teach him to retrieve certain discs at certain times or never touch a disc or stay by your side the entire time, or retrieve discs for driving practice, or retrieve discs out of the water, or do freestyle frisbee tricks like backflips off your chest.