Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
You should plant your last step more open to get away from rotating when throwing a FH. This opens up the hips allowing for your opposite shoulder to swing through, and then whipping your throwing arm through. What I typically try to mimic is a baseball player throwing across an infield. I grew up playing baseball, so this analogy worked best for me, as it is more or less the exact same thing. But, if it's more or less a routine ground ball, the lead foot is pointed toward the target, or at an angle just inside of that. It allows for a better weight transfer, and opens your body up to allow your arm a clear path at the target instead of throwing across your body.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 38
On side arm I step forward, no rotation in the foot. At least, no purposeful rotation in the foot...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
My foot doesn't really pivot on FH unless the tee is loose/slick in which case it varies from heel, toe, and flat footed, depends on the shot/balance. The momentum goes to the hip instead of spinning out the foot.
Mine is identical.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
I noticed that Big Jerm does a slight x-step which is similar to a backhand x-step, but Sarah Hokom & Ricky Wysocki do the x-step the opposite way...which is better & why?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I noticed that Big Jerm does a slight x-step which is similar to a backhand x-step, but Sarah Hokom & Ricky Wysocki do the x-step the opposite way...which is better & why?
Whichever feels more comfortable to you. I have my lead foot out front, bringing my trailing foot behind. But, if that doesn't feel right to you, do it the other way. Shouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 31
The rotation should be in the toe, and as others have said there should be less than with BH. I do rotate some on my toe after the shot, but this is more about taking some of the follow-through momentum off of my arm and absorbing it with my body. I think. If this is correct it seems like it might help prevent arm injury.

When I slip throwing RHFH (it happens more often than I'd like to admit) my right foot slips forward resulting in a forward half-roll that has me laying on the back of my neck while watching my disc. Not super graceful, but the shots often don't end up that bad.