Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedInTheDesert View Post
I'm wondering if anybody has this mindset from the teebox.

As a beginner I've been using slower understable discs to get more flight time and distance. The only time I could throw stronger stuff like a champ Eagle was when into the wind. I'm starting to notice if I select a disc that is a little more overstable, my confidence soars because I feel I won't miss left (for a LHBH throw), taking the left side out of play. Anyone else doing this? What are some other strategies that are working for you?
I throw hyzer/straight-with-fade shots with stable to overstable discs for over 90% of my shots. It really simplifies my game, especially since I throw BH and TH.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
i'd rather miss left than right in a lot of situations because as a right handed guy i feel like i can reach back out in the fairway and get off a FH or OH shot a lot easier than missing right and having to do some funky ****.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Good topic -

I'm also a LHBH player and I utilize this style of thinking - only with a different application. I play several tournaments when I can expect to see double and triple mandos (my home course has a triple mando on one hole) and one of my approaches here is to take one side of the mando completely out of play. If I'm going to miss, it's going to be left. This lets me concentrate on hitting a solid line as opposed to thinking about missing the mando (which is instant death if that's in your head).

On my home course, I have a really solid idea where not to be on the course and will often choose disc/shot selection based on all of my knowledge. When I play tournaments, I try and talk with locals to get their point of view, especially if I can't play the course beforehand.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 5
I think the key is to pick a disc that will allow you to throw a relatively flat straight shot and have it do the work. The simpler a shot is the more wind resistant and likely to succeed it will be. The more you rely on fancy snaps and late spin the more other factors come into play like wet discs, play the fairways not the pins. So yes I will stable up to stay out of trouble.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwasurge View Post
I think the key is to pick a disc that will allow you to throw a relatively flat straight shot and have it do the work. The simpler a shot is the more wind resistant and likely to succeed it will be. The more you rely on fancy snaps and late spin the more other factors come into play like wet discs, play the fairways not the pins. So yes I will stable up to stay out of trouble.
You mean let the disc do the work and not manipulate the disc? I don't understand because if all you are throwing is just flat straight shots with a stable disc then yes, you are taking one side out of play because you will never be able to make a disc the other way unless you throw both BH and FH, which you never specified.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
In indirect headwind situations I always choose to throw a shot that will finish into the wind. For example: If the wind is coming from say two or three o'clock I won't throw RHBH even with an overstable disc, the odds are as the disc slows down the wind will catch the bottom of the disc and send it too far to the left, if I were to throw a neutral stability disc RHBH it might turn into the direction of the wind and finish too far to the right, so I choose a moderately overstable disc and throw forehand or LHBH with a touch of hyzer to insure the wind doesn't have a chance to get under the disc and flip it. Tailwind situations are another matter entirely. I want the wind to catch the bottom of the disc in most situations and throw either forehand/LHBH or RHBH accordingly. If the wind is coming across my right shoulder I throw a high LHBH or forehand, if the wind is coming across my left shoulder I throw a high RHBH. I might even put a touch of anny on the disc if the wind is substantial and I need and have the room for a big sweeping turnover. There are of course exceptions to this 'rule', but that's the gist of it.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreetilinfinity View Post
Rollers are cheating too. So is making any putt outside of forty feet. Being lucky also cheats the game. And although not technically cheating, I find throwing over four hundred feet to be really cheap.
Exactly! Anything that you can do that I can't goes against the "nature of the game" and should be against the rules.