Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I have a white AJ 175 that I can do nothing with unless there's a 20 mph headwind. Nothing at all like my Pros, Blizzard or my Scorpius that was supposed to be overstable.

I recently bought an orange AJ and it is a complete pig! I also have an old champ and a Pro in the bag and the bottom of the wing on the AJ sits higher than the flight plate of other 2. The Champion and Pro have a matching PLH where the AJ is WAY above the others.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Birdie Member

The newer run AJ's have a slightly modified stamp. They say "Avery Jenkins 2009 PDGA World Champion" to the right of his signature. The previous run had his name to the right and world champ beneath his sig. They both come in dual color stamps. I got a couple of each and the new ones are beefy.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Courses Played: 15
Really liked my pro destroyer but its been ridiculous trying to get same mold. My star bottom stamped isn't even close. Saddens me. Do other companies have the same level of inconsistencies? I mean I saw a star monster that wasn't even the same disc as the champ I have. I can see if they name it differently but same name on a completely different disc is a bit frustrating. And I get different plastics mold differently in the end but it seems to vary so much run to run.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyfloor View Post
Really liked my pro destroyer but its been ridiculous trying to get same mold. My star bottom stamped isn't even close. Saddens me. Do other companies have the same level of inconsistencies? I mean I saw a star monster that wasn't even the same disc as the champ I have. I can see if they name it differently but same name on a completely different disc is a bit frustrating. And I get different plastics mold differently in the end but it seems to vary so much run to run.
Yes, innova is inconsistent in a lot of molds. Other companies have issues as well but it's at least more predictable inconsistency. For example, you can predict that tournament plastic for westside is going to be somewhat more understable than VIP, or gold line vs. opto, biofuzion vs. lucid, etc etc.

With Innova, it's often very difficult to order anything from them online and know what kind of fade / turn you're going to see. Picking and choosing by hand would be the way to go
Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPO View Post
Can anyone explain why the bottom stamped ones are so overstable? Is it a different run or just the stamping process?
I can't say I can explain it, but I can x2 this, or x3, i think there was another poster.

My tramp stamp is like a Firebird that I stole its milk money. Angry OS.

I have a seasoned one color stamp AJ, a pre-redesign 2 color AJ, and this bottom stamp. Both the AJs are pretty similar in flight, er, well the older one is "sweet spot," the 2 color is still new and beefier.

The tramp stamp is just crazy OS. I also notice a marked difference in the 'Star' plastic on it. It's really almost like half star, half rpro. R Stro? It's seriously has this rubbery feel and no where near as stiff as the AJs.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolfington View Post
Yes, innova is inconsistent in a lot of molds. Other companies have issues as well but it's at least more predictable inconsistency. For example, you can predict that tournament plastic for westside is going to be somewhat more understable than VIP, or gold line vs. opto, biofuzion vs. lucid, etc etc.

With Innova, it's often very difficult to order anything from them online and know what kind of fade / turn you're going to see. Picking and choosing by hand would be the way to go
Discraft puts the different rating out there. Yeah, Innova does on a few molds, but the XL has a different rating in every plastic.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Par Member

That's because they know plastic changes a discs flight.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHFH
In my head I was thinking that since Innova stamped the bottom it made them a little domier and hence the added stability. I think I was way wrong. I found a flatter one and purchased it just for the hell of it...it's still super overstable.

I highly recommend them though...but you have to beat them in for a long, long time! They will be pretty tough out of the box, but very worth it later on!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
I have 3 destroyers. No Vulcan like