Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
That is an interesting point.... it looks like you guys only used 5 extra baskets? So, that would probably cost just an extra $1500 for those baskets if we did something like that. We are using 2 pads for each hole anyway... so it wouldn't matter as far as extra concrete. Definitely something to think about because of that steep terrain. It is difficult because that steep terrain is something that will define some really cool shots, but it is a double-edged sword in that the terrain will make going back uphill difficult. So, a solution where a couple of holes would be light would be great.... but I doubt many people will pass on the massive downhill shot lmao.
IIRC there are more like 30 baskets total, some of the holes that share a fairway have two baskets installed and there are some holes that are completely separate. You could keep the basket cost down a little by only having separate tees on shared holes but that might limit your design a little more.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 218
sounds like you don't need to be so reticent about using the extreme elevation. players of all skill levels love the elevation! on the uphill fairways you can put the white box further up the hill so that you don't intimidate the less-skilled players as much.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 595
We either used one tee to two baskets or two tees to one basket on each of the combo holes because the cost for contracted tees in Chicago area seems to be close to the cost of a completely prepped and poured pad. If you count it up, I think we have 30 baskets and 32 tees. We had extra baskets from the existing course that were refurbed plus existing hole routes already cleared making this approach viable.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 01-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 48
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to walk the land quite a bit on friday and should have a better understanding then as far as the best way to do this. On a positive note, parks is behind this 100% and the project has been approved by the board... so now we just have to design the darn the thing
Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to walk the land quite a bit on friday and should have a better understanding then as far as the best way to do this. On a positive note, parks is behind this 100% and the project has been approved by the board... so now we just have to design the darn the thing
Are you walking it with Johnny Sias? He's a master and if anyone can figure out what to do with that land it's Johnny.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b_4 View Post
Are you walking it with Johnny Sias? He's a master and if anyone can figure out what to do with that land it's Johnny.
Unfortunately, Johnny has a lot on his plate right now and won't be able to help us. I'm sure that he will still help guide myself and drew Zeigler... but he has told me that he will not be able to design it like previously planned. It's all good though... we will do the best we can. Drew has worked on projects with Johnny before... and I have walked the land with Johnny... so I think we are on the same thought process as far as the property goes. Always open to any suggestions, though.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Hey John.... I think that I have fixed a lot of problems just by walking the land more. I have a several great holes that I am mostly trying to link. This is the updated map... turns out that the clockwise rotation layout actually works better. I made a 3 hole loop 14-16 that has the more extreme elevation change and will be a very fun couple of holes. Since it is a loop, we can place a sign for the loop, stating the elevation change... and people can skip that section if need be. I don't think that many people will elect to skip these holes... but it allows the option.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.8
Quote:
Hey John.... I think that I have fixed a lot of problems just by walking the land more.
That's great, and it would have been my suggestion. It's my best advice for all designers in that early stage: put the paper away and just walk. Walk until you feel like you've seen it all and understand it all. By that point you will no doubt have several ideas for holes that you like, maybe even dozens of holes. I find that the exploring stage is the most consistently fun part of the design process. So if you don't think you have a really good handle on all the acreage that you might use, I'd recommend that you walk some more and extend the fun.

After that, you can bring out the paper and start working on routing; from that point on the process alternates between joy and frustration. If I know I have to use a certain area between two holes I'm committed to, I may sketch all the possible ways to route that area, then go back out and see which way will work best. But whenever possible, I hope to let the land dictate the course, not the paper.

Quote:
... I made a 3 hole loop 14-16 that has the more extreme elevation change and will be a very fun couple of holes.
Sounds like a good idea, and I'll be interested to hear how many people do skip the loop. I see that you went straight downhill and then used sidehills and a switchback to work your way back up, which is a technique I like. The thing I would look at is the fact that you're going straight uphill on the walk from #15 to #16. So, if you're tied to #15 and #16 being where they are, you might look at extending #15 up and/or extending #16 down, so that the transition is more sidehill and less uphill. If you ever do have to go straight uphill more than 100', I think players would generally prefer to do that while they're playing, not while they're transitioning.

It sounds like you're on the right track; keep us updated on your progress.