Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Ha!

Let me make this long enough to enter.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
I appreciate it all guys.

I've decided to play Rec. That may make some of you disappointed/mad/whatever. The fact is that it's my game and I'm going where I feel comfortable. If I go out and run Rec, which probably won't happen, then next time I'll know, right? Right. Nobody will say anything, and if they do I honestly don't care. They're just mad cause they got beat.

Should be fun and some good golf going on. If I play the golf I know I can, even just decent for my game (and this assumption is based on past scores) I'll top 3 it, and if I play my real game, I SHOULD win rec. Who knows though.

We'll see.

Thanks again guys!
I think you made a great decision. I agree you should play in Rec and have fun. If you are "all that" it will be your one and only time playing in Rec.

I play Rec because I have never been rated over 900 (and never will be). I don't mind seeing first time tournament players come in and out drive me by 100 feet. There is a certain amount of satisfaction when I get a drop-in three on a 450 foot hole, while the new guy (that can actually throw 450 feet), cards a 6 or worse. Sometimes the new guys do win. I don't call them "Bagger", I call them "One and Done"!

It takes more than a long drive to win Rec.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 36
When you played at Old Post what did you shoot? That will help give me a better idea of what your skill level is.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrew300 View Post
When you played at Old Post what did you shoot? That will help give me a better idea of what your skill level is.
It was pouring rain and I didn't finish.

Are you playing the NPC Tour Champion ships next weekend? It will be 2 rounds on Old Post, and 2 rounds on Pleasant View.

I'm super excited for it, and just got signed up.

Does anyone have any tips on practicing for upcoming tournaments?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Par Member

Just finished a couple rounds at the courses where we'll be playing.

The tournament is gonna go..(I'm pretty sure, but not positive. I do know for a fact that there will be 2 rounds on each course)

Saturday:
Burns park Blue course
LUNCH
burns park Red cours

Sunday:
Burns Red Course
LUNCH
Burns Blue coure

On Red I shot par (Which I was happy with, I think that was what I was hoping to get)

Then I played holes 1-8 and 16-18 on the Blue course and was even when I quit. Had somewhere to be, but I think I would've ended par or -1 on blue. Putting me at approximately even on the courses.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Got a question for all of you DGCR big wigs..

I am leaning hard towards Rec, because even if I do screw things up, I'll still cash and have some competition.
I do not think that is truly a good reason deciding where to play.

Play up.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdisc View Post
It sounds like you are an Intermediate player, going by distances, your expectation of shooting under par, and the fact that you won an intermediate doubles tournament by seven strokes. Rec players usually shoot quite a bit over par, even on short courses.

If you like beating other people soundly without real competition, go ahead and do Rec or Junior. Figure out which has the biggest payout you're trying to sandbag and go there.

If you actually want competition and play with people around your level, I'd go with Intermediate.
LMAO
Old 05-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
It takes more than a long drive to win Rec.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
It was pouring rain and I didn't finish.

Are you playing the NPC Tour Champion ships next weekend? It will be 2 rounds on Old Post, and 2 rounds on Pleasant View.

I'm super excited for it, and just got signed up.

Does anyone have any tips on practicing for upcoming tournaments?
Won't get to play NPC, but the courses are in great shape, it will be a fun time. Only advice I have is play the courses if you can, but at least get there in time to walk the course.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 69
......my 2 cents, and I've been playing for almost 15 years now..... for a "bigger" tournament (A or B tier), and this is really your first time at a bigger event, play your PDGA rating, and if you don't have one, play in a lower division. There is usually better competition at a bigger event, so the Rec. division at this will be bigger than say a C- tier event. Also, you should be able to look online before the event, and if there are just a handful of Rec., while there is say 15 or more Int., you may want to move up to INT. If you were to "cash out" winning Rec, you may get the same as say 4th in INT. Payout is depended upon how many total players, and how many in each division, and Rec. winning percentage is usually lower than INT.
Playing better competition also makes you a better player in the long run. I know this doesn't give you an answer to your original post question, but does give you some tools to make your own decision. Good luck in whatever you decide, and most of all HAVE FUN!

Last edited by DannyM; 05-19-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling error