Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlizard View Post
I played some awesome games yesterday, maybe for three or four hours. Wanted to build on that today, got up in excitement, beautiful sunshine, out to the course... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.

Obviously I need some rest, and I hope today will be rest enough so that I can go back tomorrow, but I'm wondering. How do people who play every day do it? Does it just come with routine? Don't you play more than an hour or two a day? Do you have an additional exercise or stretching routine?

I'm new to disc golf, it's my first season, and I'm not exactly an athletic person. I regularly think I should work on my general fitness as well, but when it comes to it, I always rather grab my bag and head out to the course instead.
I take a minimum of 20 minutes to warm up. This includes a dynamic warm up, practice throws into the grass (I have a beat up disc for this and increase my power slowly), and torso/arm stretches.

During the winter months I lift and run six days a week to increase my muscle stamina and strength. I only continue this routine 2-3 times a week during the spring/summer/fall since I am out playing six days a week. I have seen a drastic improvement in my stamina since I started this 2 years ago. I can send my plan to anyone if interested.

Like any sport rest and recovery is important. I like to take one day off each week to not play or workout. You will be sore at first playing everyday, but your body will get used to it. Make sure to constantly focus on your technique. When people get tired they tend to get lazy and let unnatural movements sneak into their throws, this will cause you to be sore. Like any sport if you are sore be sure to ice and heat as this will speed up your recovery time.

Good luck out there!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlizard View Post
... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.
As your form improves, your arm becomes less strained as other parts of your body take over. Currently, I feel soreness from disc golfing (especially long driving) in my stomach, inner thighs, and opposite of throwing arm pec. Also be prepared for chaffing on different parts of your hands/fingers before they callous up.

It's a slow evolutionary process that you just need to be patient with.