Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Playing in winter has its advantages. It's never crowded. I love the solitude. And the snow absorbs all the sound, making it silent except for your footsteps, your breath, and the chains with their muffled clink as they shake off the snow.

As others have said, playing on packed snow is great (usually after it has melted a bit and re-frozen). Big skips and no trouble finding the disk. Playing in shallow powder is fine, but I don't play much in deep powder.

In the cold weather places I've lived (mainly Omaha and Boston), I've never seen a course remove baskets. If you love the game enough, you won't go 4 months without playing.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 185
I think we have a combination of both. We own...and also have donated baskets to the park departments...Im fairly confident we can do almost anything we want with them in Charlotte.

People/park departments remove baskets in snow areas to allow for winter sledding all the time.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
Now that I think about it, a good disc golf basket is a lot like a park swing set...galvanized steel and chains, made to withstand all weather.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Glassila, I'm not sure if you've seen this or not, but some people tape streamers/ribbons to the center of their discs. This can allow the disc to be found relatively easy even in 2+ feet of snow. Also, if it's a fairly open fairway and you see the general area your disc goes down, you can get good at just spotting the entry wound in the snow. So it's definitely doable. There's other things you can do as well. Not using drivers and sticking with mids and putters helps. They don't pierce through nearly as much. Some people like keeping concrete teepads shoveled, but that can be alot of work the more snow you have. But if you don't keep it shoveled, it's best to tee off from the side of the pad, that way the compressed snow doesn't turn to ice. Hope this helps.
^ This all day long.

I play almost as much winter disc as I do summer disc.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 73
The main reason I don't play much in temps below freezing is my hands. I've got a bad issue with circulation with them, so they get cold real easy. I use hothands in my gloves or pockets which work, but just the short time I have my hand out to get the disc and throw it gets painful. Not a huge deal here in WV; the winters have been staying around 30 - 40 degrees in recent years. Just means I won't be summiting Mt. Everest in my life.