Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Upping the Distance Pt. 2

So I've been playing quite a fair bit since January (ALOT) my Mid, Approach, and Putting(well...IDK another thread another day) Are all pretty well off. My main problem seems to be distance. I can't really crack a consistent 350-400' I feel if I could just hit that mark, it would put me to the next level. I spent many a great time changing my form and this photograph shows about where I'm at now with my form on the reach back, this particularly drive was about 10 ft right but equal to a 310 ft hole with trees and what not. I am really comfortable with this form and like it alot. The problem is I just feel like I'm missing something to add some extra distance. My max accurate drive ever was roughly 400'(slight tailwind slight down hill) I also drive with wraiths but am willing to change to something at a slower or higher speed if necesary. I think right now my drives are maxing on a good average at about 300-325. I'd like to get 350' distance consistently without having to give it my all so that I can control the distance and control a better shot. Any tips or thoughts? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1359.jpg (159.3 KB, 213 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
A video may be a little better for critique as there is a lot of throw left to do, and that could help figure out some things to change.

One thing that I think that I see is that your thumb looks really close to the edge of the disc. Thumb should be more near where the flight plate meet the rim to get a good "pinch" between the thumb and index finger.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Looks like you are leaning a bit far over the rear leg.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 PM

Courses Played: 21
A few things that have helped me break my distance plateau lately are turn my shoulders back more and working on maintaining a more consistent spine angle throughout the throw. One thing I have noticed though is that when you work on turning your shoulders back more and really loading against that back hip and leg it's important to keep a straight reach back along the target line and to not rush or strong arm the pull through. The pull through should build momentum into the hit. Like others have said film yourself so you can check your progress.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
yep, you are definitely leaning too far back. you can reach as far back as you want, but don't LEAN back over that rear foot. make sure that when you start your turn, your off arm stays at your side.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTay13 View Post
A few things that have helped me break my distance plateau lately are turn my shoulders back more and working on maintaining a more consistent spine angle throughout the throw. One thing I have noticed though is that when you work on turning your shoulders back more and really loading against that back hip and leg it's important to keep a straight reach back along the target line and to not rush or strong arm the pull through. The pull through should build momentum into the hit. Like others have said film yourself so you can check your progress.
It looks like he has enough shoulder rotation already.

Personally, just based on the picture, it looks like you have some problems with weight shifting/balance, and you're probably strong-arming the disc (this assumption is purely based on your given distance level).

I would recommend a video critique, and I would also suggest reading some of the threads over on DGR. It's pretty slow there nowadays, but there's a lot of good knowledge there.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Courses Played: 21
Yeah I would agree that he has enough shoulder turn. Judging by the pic it's not on line or on plane though. I think that it's pretty hard to have too much shoulder turn if you keep everything lined up and you are maintaining a loaded back foot and hip and keeping a consistent spine angle...
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Definitely need a video, one question would be where is your acceleration? Do you try to go max speed through the entire pull through? The best point to fully accelerate is right when your elbow passes your shoulder to give you the whip action to get the longer distances. I had the same problem you had until I figured that out. Just make sure you have a good fluid pull through about 70-80% power then right as your elbow reaches your shoulder rip it as fast as you can. It added and extra 50ft for me after getting it down consistently.

Last edited by mm1315; 05-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
Some advice I've started giving people is that you basically have to believe you're going to throw that far. For a while I couldn't figure out why I couldn't throw a putter 350' and it became this thing where I basically believed I just didn't have the right kind of throw to get it there for some reason and I'd tinker with angles and height. Then one day I was like screw that I can easily throw a putter 350' and now I can repeatedly.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 34
Just grip it and rip it. Pinch it tighter and hyzer bomb that sucker.

Did any of this help? What are your distance averages at now? And how's that vid coming?