Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
Stick to the safe sounding remedies.
You mean you don't personally endorse the consumption of a Poison Oak, Ivy and Sumac salad with urushiol & balsamic dressing?

So much for my going vegan...
Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
I got it again last week. Not sure exactly how, but I woke up Thursday morning with little blisters starting between my fingers. They were everywhere. I went to the Doctor that afternoon. They put me on 40mg per day of Apo-Prednisone for a 5 day run. Blisters were gone the next day. Every other little blister or rash healed immediately as well.

Prednisone is not easy on the body, but it was necessary in this case. I couldn't bear the thought of 3 weeks of weeping fingers.

Avoid sodium on the juice. It makes you retain lots of water.
Prednisone is some nasty stuff, but it works. I had some nerve issues in my neck, and after a week of that, my neck felt better, but the rest of me felt like holy hell. It puts a major whoopin' on your system, that's for sure.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Also be aware that you might get a poison ivy rash from contact with your pets or your clothes. The strangest case of it I've ever had kept appearing on my hands a little worse every morning, gradually diminshing through the day, and then worse again every morning when I woke up. The first time it happened, I couldn't figure out what was causing it, and thought maybe I had mosquitos in my bedroom, or God forbid, bedbugs. Eventually I realized I had gotten urishiol in my bed sheets, and changing the sheets cured the problem. It happened at least once or twice more to me, and changing the sheets worked every time. So even if you don't actually get it on your skin when you go discing or hiking, you might get it on your clothes, and then get it from surface contact with something else. This time of year I mostly play disc golf in light weight long pants, since my local course grows a lot of poison ivy every year. That combined with showering when I get home has kept me mostly urishiol free in recent years. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
washrag

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Also be aware that you might get a poison ivy rash from contact with your pets or your clothes. The strangest case of it I've ever had kept appearing on my hands a little worse every morning, gradually diminshing through the day, and then worse again every morning when I woke up. The first time it happened, I couldn't figure out what was causing it, and thought maybe I had mosquitos in my bedroom, or God forbid, bedbugs. Eventually I realized I had gotten urishiol in my bed sheets, and changing the sheets cured the problem. It happened at least once or twice more to me, and changing the sheets worked every time. So even if you don't actually get it on your skin when you go discing or hiking, you might get it on your clothes, and then get it from surface contact with something else. This time of year I mostly play disc golf in light weight long pants, since my local course grows a lot of poison ivy every year. That combined with showering when I get home has kept me mostly urishiol free in recent years. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Yup, very common to spread the oil to the front side of your cars drivers seat, usually from the back of your own legs. Then to keep getting it over and over.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 18
TECHNU!!!