Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Funny, one of my first discs was a 150 Juliana Korver signature Valk and it went further than all my other discs that were max weight. I love throwing 150 class Rocs, Teebirds, and Bosses, I think that Wiggins guy does too. Light discs really make you clean up your form and are easier to throw for the most part. On the opposite side of the spectrum throwing hammers will really make you use your core.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
It is quite a rewarding feeling when you are stuck in some dense vegetation with NO room for a throwing motion. Then, you pull out the 133g Roadrunner and get 300' shot with only a few inches of movement of your backhand. Good luck ever getting that to work with a 175+ disc.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
You have to spend time with someone to know what discs they should be using. Everyone needs something different. Everything's a meathook for you? Have a beat 150 Leo. Everythings rolling over? Have a max weight Eagle.

Make sure when you hand them a disc, they know what it's for. If you hand an OAT monkey a 150 Leo, make sure they know it's about forcing form improvement, not about flying right atm.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
For me, there is a benefit to having various weights of the same disc. It is much easier for me to throw the same exact shape of disc, but to be able to pick one one of different weight and therefore different stability.

A good example is my TeeBirds. I've got a 169 that I use in basic situations with a level fairway and no to mild wind. I've got a 158 that I use for uphill shots or when I have to scale back on the speed to get more accuracy. I've also got a 175 that I use when it's windy or I want a fast downhill shot.