Disc Golf Store
Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
That site reminds me of my Social Profile pic. I think I created that site back when I did Geocities websites for $200 a pop.

It appears though that it IE6 compatible, which is a plus.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
If we learn anything from the rise and fall of forums, it's that regular infusions of new personalities are key to sustainability.
(that and no extended downtimes!)
The people who run the PDGA forums and their closed door policies never quite got the memo on that. Now, the link to their forums which used to be on the homepage is only accessible under a menu. Yeah, that's gonna get traffic.

Sadly, a lot of forums are dying because too many people in the world would rather don knee pads before Mark Zuckerburg or the Twitter crew than get on a forum where you share a common interest with people. I'd suspect the way we are connecting to the internet has a lot to do with that. I'm kind of glad that this place is an exception to the rule.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The people who run the PDGA forums and their closed door policies never quite got the memo on that. Now, the link to their forums which used to be on the homepage is only accessible under a menu. Yeah, that's gonna get traffic.

Sadly, a lot of forums are dying because too many people in the world would rather don knee pads before Mark Zuckerburg or the Twitter crew than get on a forum where you share a common interest with people. I'd suspect the way we are connecting to the internet has a lot to do with that. I'm kind of glad that this place is an exception to the rule.
Good post, scarp. This is pretty unique, but the small size (comparatively speaking) makes the conversation higher quality, plus the commonality we all have with our game. Though, we do have our fair share of troll and attention seekers, nothing compared to the professionals you find on social media or larger forums, like Yahoo, NBC sports...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
My local club's site is basically dead. All the action takes place on FB now.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 35
Yep, I agree. I ran our club's site for years but the advent of FB brought forth changes of how members sought information. The forum died fairly quickly without active content (mostly tournament info) that was had become easier to slap on a FB post.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:15 PM

I got involved with DGR in its waning days, but have found myself spending more time lurking over here, basically because one post per day doesn't take long to keep up with. The nutshell difference is the members of DGR were mostly interested in analyzing disc golf whereas the members of this forum are mostly interested in being noticed.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
DGR was one of the only places to get "unbiased" disc golf information when I started (also around 2004). I remember reviewing discs and writing articles, mainly on dying before people got really good. Then I got involved on the forum, even was a mod for a while. Blake_T is a great guy had some long phone chats with him. Never known someone who can diagnose (correctly) and discuss form as eloquently as he could.
I still check there first when I am in the mood for info (since I am not active in the online disc golf community anymore, I am so lost about what all the new stuff is) then remember its all been swaying this way. The flea market alone here has exploded over what we had going on there.
Pretty sure I have been a member here since day 1. It took a while to actually get me in the forum regularly though...

Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 21
Sad to see DGR fading into oblivion, I spent several years and over a thousand posts there learning how to play this game well. Man, I owe a lot to Blake_T, he's made disc golf a lot more fun for me.