Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 117
Disc Golfing in Pittsburgh, PA

So, I may be taking a trip to Pittsburgh, PA next month. My brother, who is getting married next March is a long-time Steelers fan and wants to go to Pitt for the game on October 20th for his bachelor party.

As his best man, I am kind of obligated to go to the bachelor party, but seeing as I'm not really a football fan, I've already told him that I'll probably be playing disc golf while he and his other buddies are tailgating and at the game.

So, I've checked the area and it looks like
Deer Lakes Park, Moraine State Park & Knob Hill Park would all be good choices while I'm in town. But, since I've never been to the city, here are my questions.

1) Is Pittsburgh even playable in late October, or does weather prevent it? I play year round in St. Louis and it can get pretty cold (single digits) but we rarely get a ton of snow or ice?
2) We're renting a car and driving up, which my brother will have at the game, are these parks anywhere close to the city to where i could catch a cheap cab, or are they way out in the burbs?
3) Are there any kind hearted Pitt locals on here that wouldn't mind showing me around while I'm in town?
4) Are the local club(s) hosting any tournaments the weekend of 10/20?

Any help is appreciated
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
October is fine. You probably won't want to take a taxi. PM me when you know more specific times and I'd be happy to meet you at one of them (Moraine is easiest for me), especially if you've got a travel tag to swap.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 44
October can provide some of the best disc golf all year. Here's Hole 14 at Deer Lakes in October:

To answer your other questions, I doubt you could easily take a cab. Knob is 20 mins, Deer Lakes is 30 mins, and Moraine is 45 mins from the stadium. I could post something on the club Facebook page if you're interested (and I might even be available to take you myself--won't know until closer to the date).

Nothing is on the club calendar for October 20. There is a monthly on October 19 at Moraine State Park.

Feel free to send me a message closer to the date, and I'll be happy to try to help you out.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 117
That looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I just got off the phone with my brother and the plans I thought were set in stone are a little more up in the air than I originally thought. Hopefully I have a chance to get up there, and will let he locals know if I do, but right now I guess he's uncertain if he can even get tickets to the football game, which is the main reason he wants to go there...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 15
^ the OCt 20 Ravens game is a hard ticket to get. PM Me and let me know how many tickets you're interested in.

Also none of the courses you've listed are close to downtown. But if you're staying in town you could get a cab to schenley park pretty easily. Also it's worth playing if you're staying in the city as the view from hole 1's tee can't be beat.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
Also none of the courses you've listed are close to downtown. But if you're staying in town you could get a cab to schenley park pretty easily. Also it's worth playing if you're staying in the city as the view from hole 1's tee can't be beat.
I second this. Knob Hill/Linbrook in Cranberry are the closest you mentioned, and they're still a good 30 minutes away. Schenley is very doable from the city itself.

Two Mile Extension is a very solid 9 holer that is close by the airport (10-15 minutes?) - might be able to hit it on your way in or out of the city if you're otherwise crunched for time. I'd highly recommend it; it'll still give you "the Western PA experience."

If you do make it up to play one of the courses you mentioned, my personal favorite is Moraine, for whatever it's worth.

Enjoy the trip. Go Steelers! (Even though it's been a rough start of the season...)