Old 09-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
IMHO, they didn't make it hard enough. They should have raised the initial MPO/MA1 standard back to 1000 like it used to be. The current 500 pts. could then be used as a second tier standard. If that doesn't fill, you go to the waiting list.

Even under the new standards, 198 players got enough points to qualify for Am Worlds just by going to Bowling Green. 37 of them did it playing Rec. Several more people got a lion's share of what they would need.

Another 150 players got enough points for Am Worlds at the Glass Blown Open. Almost two-thirds of them doing it in Intermediate.

I think the PDGA needs to address what to do about the points system in regard to these super tournaments.
I would have to agree. I played horribly at bg ams and got over 400 points just from that. Maybe a cap needs to be institutioned based on division played. Such as novice can only get 50 a tourney rec 100 int 150 and advanced 200. This would force even advanced players to do well in multiple tournies.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 78
Points worked fine when worlds never filled up (which actually means that invites were useless at that point and points didn't matter at all). Now that there is sufficient demand for spots in worlds it would make sense for it to be a combination of points and rating as others have suggested (or simply a minimum number of events played combined with rating). This is unlikely to occur however because the quest for points regardless of rating helps the pdga generate money.

Looks like my 2 events played this year (one in open and one in masters) will qualify me for a GM spot next year.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 78
...and changing the rules in the middle of the season is a poor choice.