Disc Golf Store
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Disc Golf in the Special Olympics?

Well there's been lots of negativity around these forums lately (some of which I am guilty of) so let's bring some positivity back to our community.

For years, I've been involved with Special Olympics. As a teenager and in my first few years in the Marines, I coached weightlifting. Lately, I haven't been able to put in that much time so now I try and just pass out water or towels or whatever they need me to do. With the National Games coming up, I thought it would be a great time to bring up a possibility for a future Special Olympics event: disc golf!

Since disc golf is very popular in my area, I did bring it up to the regional director who said she would do some research. It's a long process, and the earliest it could be included would likely be 2020, but I think it is worth persuing. Now is a busy time for Special Olympics, so I will do some legwork for the director to present maybe during fall or winter.

Innova has shown support for Special Olympics, to include making fundraiser USDGC Rocs for the National Games, so I don't think it would be much of a stretch to think that Innova, Discraft, Vibram and perhaps many others would support its inclusion.

Also, at my local course there is an awesome player with Downs Syndrome named Mike who loves to play, and I've seen him bring other hand I - capable friends along to play. So the athletes are certainly there.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this? Who would be willing to coach in their local area? I think this would be a great way for local clubs to give back.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I would totally do that, what a good idea.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 77
i would do it if time permits. full time grad school with part time job that is 25-30 a week plus occasionally volunteering on call for a crisis nursery. yikes what am i doing to myself? haha

but if it was flexable with times i would. it would be very fun and exciting to see progress.

i have seen some PCA or whatever theyre called bring their clients out to the course and throw with them. kinda give them pointers but more so just to enjoy a nice day. pretty sweet
Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Par Member

I would be all over helping in the Portland area. Great idea!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Our club, the Hamilton Disc Golf Union (www.thehdgu.com) is doing a series of clinics and an event with our local Special Olympics later this fall. They have been great to work with, but have some specific requirements which will require some hoop jumping for you and your volunteers. Proper site selection will also help. We will be using Lawrence W. Inlow Park in Carmel, IN. It was designed for kids, newbies and even ADA players/users.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5553

Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
I would totally support disc golf in the Special Olympics, it is a perfect for it. I know special needs people enjoy it immensely, I have personally taken a few of them out to play in the past. The Special Olympics are being held in my area this year(I could literally throw a Frisbee and hit the park where a lot of the events are being held). And the best part is, there is already a beginner friendly course in that park!!

Last edited by Disc Fiend; 06-17-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
It's been happening here for several years now. It's never been an official event, but our locals have set up an exhibition every year.

http://www.pdga.com/special-olympics-dg
Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Arent the disciplines picked by some sort of olympic comite? Wouldnt that require disc golf to be considered for the normal olympics aswell?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
Arent the disciplines picked by some sort of olympic comite? Wouldnt that require disc golf to be considered for the normal olympics aswell?
No, they're completely different entities.