Old 04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It's great to have unlimited runup space, but if you have a tight space I would much rather be limited behind the pad than in front. I can deal with a shortened teeing area, but worrying about smacking my hand on a follow through is awful.
Hmm... I would rather have it right in front that right behind. A longer run up space allows everyone to use their normal run up, but if you are worried about smacking your hand on the sign, just move back and throw from halfway back on the tee.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
Hmm... I would rather have it right in front that right behind. A longer run up space allows everyone to use their normal run up, but if you are worried about smacking your hand on the sign, just move back and throw from halfway back on the tee.
I just don't think that it's that big a deal for someone to have to shorten their runup on a hole or two. I don't at all like sign or tree positions that are in the actual throwing space for a specific type of throw. Forcing stand and deliver on a hole is much better imo than giving people a tee space but threatening broken hands if they use all of it.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redbeard View Post
I have seen discs badly damaged from tee signs in front of tee pad, definitly not the best placement
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
My comments posted on the PDGA.Com site. My experience in building, designing courses, replacing and repairing and relocating signs.

In front of the pad is best. Off to the left or right.
1. you can see what you are throwing and the distance without having to get back off the pad.

2. A good distance in front at a diagonal from the pad eliminates issues where signs or posts are in the way of runups.
3. People kick the first thing they see when they throw a bad shot. I have seen tons of foot prints on signs. Location close to the tee or at the back of the pad leads to destroyed signs.
4. signs at the back of the pad are drawn on by players while they wait at back ups or for other people to throw.
5. People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

I think signs are best viewed from the pad (which means you can view them from behind the pad too)

Thread:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34987
15' forward 5-8' left or right, if you hit it ... really?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

If you give it that much room, then it's really pretty irrelevant to most disc golfers where it's placed. You only get complaints (from non-designers) when it's placed where it directly interferes with the throw.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I just don't think that it's that big a deal for someone to have to shorten their runup on a hole or two. I don't at all like sign or tree positions that are in the actual throwing space for a specific type of throw. Forcing stand and deliver on a hole is much better imo than giving people a tee space but threatening broken hands if they use all of it.
A player should never be forced to choose between stand and deliver and risk of a broken hand. Using the tee-sign as a way to manipulate how players throw just seems wrong.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
Wow. One local course where I live is called emerald park. The tee signs are only about a foot or two off the ground and out of the way when throwing. If I wasnt typing this on my nook, I'd link a picture. Another course has the tee signs several feet to the left in the middle of the teepad and parallel to the tee pad(meaning you can read it while on the tee throwing rhbh) and I haven't had any problems with that setup. Crappy tee sign placement pisses me off, especially when it is in the follow through area.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashzero View Post
A player should never be forced to choose between stand and deliver and risk of a broken hand. Using the tee-sign as a way to manipulate how players throw just seems wrong.
I agree, my point was how I would prefer to see the choice made when installers do insist on putting the sign right at the tee.