Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
But it is good tho
Yes, but apparently some people don't understand the irony.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Asked to Ken Climo as 11x world Champion
What should the PDGA do about sandbagging? When do you think a player should move up to the next level?
-Wilbur Wallis, Rantoul, IL

This is a really tough subject. I feel if there were some kind of chart or scale that would move players up it's better than them being taunted into advancement. Anything in black and white that showed what constituted advancement such as a top 3 finish more than three times in an A-Tier event, or something similar.
Personally I feel a player should advance a level when they are holding out for the Amateur World Championships. They should advance right then. Go ahead and play pro, and just turn down the money if you cash. At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition. The other reason to advance would be a player dominating for merchandising purposes.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjzn6 View Post
Asked to Ken Climo as 11x world Champion
What should the PDGA do about sandbagging? When do you think a player should move up to the next level?
-Wilbur Wallis, Rantoul, IL

This is a really tough subject. I feel if there were some kind of chart or scale that would move players up it's better than them being taunted into advancement. Anything in black and white that showed what constituted advancement such as a top 3 finish more than three times in an A-Tier event, or something similar.
Personally I feel a player should advance a level when they are holding out for the Amateur World Championships. They should advance right then. Go ahead and play pro, and just turn down the money if you cash. At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition. The other reason to advance would be a player dominating for merchandising purposes.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjzn6 View Post
At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition.

That's where I think Bubba shot himself in the foot by not playing any open events. I knew Steven had an advantage because he has been playing open this year, so he's used to elevated competition. He has played against 1000 rated players and beat them. He knows what it takes, he knows he can do it, so he has the mental game to come out on top. Bubba has been coasting from one victory to the next without anyone really pushing him.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Par Member

Well there's that... and the fact that AM Worlds is the only Sanctioned tournament he's played so far this year. I kind of know Bubba, i've played rounds with him and occasionally chat with him on FB. Disc Golf isn't his #1 passion. Leading up to Worlds he hadn't really played much at all, all year until about i think it was a month or two leading up. He does get some flack for playing in Adv tourneys when he plays, but honestly seeing some of the Open players around here... I wouldn't want to play with them either. There are some really cool Open players in our area but there are a few that just make the rounds not fun from what i've seen. Breaking chairs on trees, kicking bags, etc. One guy got so bad that at an event where McBeast came and said guy was on the final card with him.... they were all basically just making fun of the guy the whole time.

Bubba is a cool cat. Some people i guess may have bad experiences with him. I never have. For some people, no matter how "good" they are or rating says possibly just don't want to deal with the drama that Open divisions tend to have (at least in this area).

Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Par Member

Oh, sorry for double post. As far as Pfaff goes. I play with one of the guys that was on his card for the semi's and i think the round prior. Said Austin was a super cool kid that was just lights out at putting within like 50 feet. If i was that good and i was 16, why WOULDN'T i play in the <=19 division? Kid has three more years until he has to play with higher advanced division if he chooses. But I think someone said he was going to go Pro. I dunno. I don't much care. It's just golf.