Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: Do your drives make a "snap" sound?
Yes 28 17.50%
No 46 28.75%
Sometimes 77 48.13%
I cant throw good enough to truly answer.. sorry' 9 5.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
I never have a snap on my backhand, but once in a blue moon there will be a snap sound from my FH (which is definitely from a slip in my grip). My fiancee, who throws around 200-225 feet on average, has a very loud snap on her BH drives though.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Moderate Superator

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 29
I've been practicing all winter after having readjusted my form. I used the towel drill hard and heavy and incorporated a lower pull through which helped me to get the nose down more in my throws. Now there is more snap on the back and forehand releases and I could hear it today.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 PM

Courses Played: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
What a surprise :P

There are two different kinds of snap, one is the noise and one is the concept that a few tech gurus try to explain ( see Blake for example). The noise is certainly not helping, or depending on who you ask even bad for your drive. The tech concept is what we all aim for to throw farther.
I guess I could explain some things:

Categorically - means; always. So When I say categorically bad, I mean that there are likely to be instances where it is neutral at worst.

I don't think you read my post. I am well aware of the difference between snap the sound, and snap the phenomenon of increased rotation.

My only point, is that if you hear that sound, and immediately say, "That was a bad throw." It isn't about the sound, its about the things that actually happen to the disc. There are TONS of guys on tour who have an audible snap. There is a video of GG posted where he throws pretty quietly, he also uses a non-conventional three or four finger fan style grip. Perhaps that has something to do with the sound of his drive.

In short, it is my educated opinion that anyone who says audible snap is categorically bad is a moron.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Moderate Superator

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 29
I'm not gauging my improvement by whether or not I get a snap. After spending the winter doing the towel exercise I developed the snap, where before it did not exist. I would step on the tee pad and just muscle it as far as I could. Wound up having sore shoulders and form was very rough and inconsistent. Instructional videos really helped me to understand the dynamics of better throwing. As far as the audible snap I can't see how that would have a bearing on anything.....jus sayin......

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 27
I tend to get an audible snap when throwing above 75% power or so. Never have known if its good or bad, or what causes it. It's been happening for me since year 1.