Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
What amazed me about the 1993 vid is the number of commercials, and the companies advertising. Was there a shortage of sports events that summer -- or has disc golf regressed in it's appeal to advertisers?
i think it mostly boils down to regional business relationships rather than national corporate awareness. for example, the 96 world's were sponsored by merryl lynch. not because "merryl lynch" knew what disc golf was and thought they would gain new clients from the association, but rather because an avid local golfer was an agent for merryl lynch, and his son was one of the best junior golfers in the region.

as for crazy john, i first met him 20+ years ago at the japan open. i understand that many people are not happy with his work on dgplanet world's coverage but crazy is one of the coolest, most humble and sincerely passionate disc golfers i've played with. fantastic disc golf talent and he loved to make shots with a gallery watching.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
If I remember correctly from some old wise mans explanation, a lot of the big name sponsorship was actually from regional sources not corporate.
pretty much this. i responded before reading the whole thread.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
If I remember correctly from some old wise mans explanation, a lot of the big name sponsorship was actually from regional sources not corporate.
that's generally how it works.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 16
The Pizza Hut commercials got me thinking that would be a great spot -- have pros walking down the street hyzer-flipping pies onto peoples' dinner tables. Big Jerm forehands one around the corner into the dining room. MJ spin putts one through the mail slot... etc.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 8
Frisbee was a huge fad in the 70's and even into the 80s. Also, WhamO was behind alot of the big name advertising. Once they bailed out of DG and the PDGA was given over to the players, alot of the money backing went byebye.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
looks like the rest of the world missed the boat as the worlds semi & final rounds this year was epic. ESPN, etc.. you are all stupid for not airing worlds.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
What amazed me about the 1993 vid is the number of commercials, and the companies advertising. Was there a shortage of sports events that summer -- or has disc golf regressed in it's appeal to advertisers?
Well this was taken from the TV broadcast of the event on SportsSouth and I didn't remove the commercials when i uploaded it. Lavone Wolfe and Huntsville did a great job on the video,.