Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
Well, it poured for 25 minutes. Cleared out the course. And I got 45 holes in 3 hours.
On the portland westside it didn't rain... It poured in buckets terrestrial downpour status (but only for 45 minutes) haha
Old 06-13-2014, 03:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Yeah, I hid under a big Doug Fir, smoked a cig to keep the bugs away, and had a nice textversation with a friend until the sun came out again -- did that twice.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
I love the Texas heat for the same reason. Recently while playing with a friend on a sweltering 90 degree day with close to the same humidity, he remarked "I dread summer when it's REALLY hot". I didn't say much, but I am actually looking forward to the 105 degree days in July and August. The humidity will be lower so it will feel about the same as 90 degrees does now, but the courses will be empty.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 44
I'm with the OP 100%. I live within walking distance of the local 9-hole and I won't even bother doing putting practice there on a nice evening. There will often be at least 5 groups playing there, plus someone picnicking on the fairway. So you throw three putters, wait for someone to play through, pick up your putters, wait for someone to play through, walk back to where you were putting from, wait for someone to play through, etc. The local 18 only gets crowded on the front 9 because only serious players hit the back, so that's where I'll be found this summer. That way you only have to deal with chuckers on a few holes before the course opens up. But I can't walk there... And my local "field work" field gets packed in the summer too. So rain or darkness? Hell yeah.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
I'm with the OP 100%. I live within walking distance of the local 9-hole and I won't even bother doing putting practice there on a nice evening. There will often be at least 5 groups playing there, plus someone picnicking on the fairway. So you throw three putters, wait for someone to play through, pick up your putters, wait for someone to play through, walk back to where you were putting from, wait for someone to play through, etc. The local 18 only gets crowded on the front 9 because only serious players hit the back, so that's where I'll be found this summer. That way you only have to deal with chuckers on a few holes before the course opens up. But I can't walk there... And my local "field work" field gets packed in the summer too. So rain or darkness? Hell yeah.
I know what course you're talking about.

Luckily we live in Everett and we get plenty of rain and darkness right?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
The other thing that works to avoid the crowds is 6 am rounds. I'm heading out now.