Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

Maybe I just haven't been paying as much attention but the prices people are paying for discs and some of the process people ask seems like a lot.

Especially on the FB groups, even a few month ago you could find some decent stuff. Now its all collectors discs with people tons of money for stuff.

When did KC Pro and 11xs become as valuable as CE? What about beat to hell inked thrower CEs for 50 bucks? Any teebird that isn't made anymore.....JK Pros...anything "perly"

Is this a recent phenomenon or any I just noticing now because I'm actually paying more attention to it?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by loki993; 07-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
The only recent phenomenon is the facebook groups, which have inflated the prices a bit i agree. But they are also great for people like me with "normal" type discs. I can throw a new basic plastic disc up there I couldn't get $7 shipped for here and get $10 on the auction site.

Mint pearly 11xs have always been high $$$. I thought I've seen the CE prices come DOWN actually, maybe I'm the crazy one
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Maybe its just because I'm looking for stuff now and I'm like damn that a lot of money

yeah where I see the most is on Facebook and tis not the sellers as much as it is the buyers, though sometimes tis the sellers too. They will just pay crazy prices for stuff on there, I don't get it.

As for CE I don't pay too much attention because its always been too expensive for me. But I figured I could get some relative bargains on some 10x or 11x stuff or something like that and there just aren't any....Maybe I need to manage my expectations
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMatt View Post
Mint pearly 11xs have always been high $$$. I thought I've seen the CE prices come DOWN actually, maybe I'm the crazy one
I think the fact that a lot of CE is starting to crack is bringing the prices down. Last winter was tough on a lot of pricey plastic.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

no-joke said yesterday, "I'm gonna unload a bunch of stamps on FB cuz they'll buy anything they've never seen"

comin' for your money, job-slackers

also bought 2 x 8/10 Pro Rhynos yesterday for $5 each.
DAAAANGER ZONE
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I think the fact that a lot of CE is starting to crack is bringing the prices down. Last winter was tough on a lot of pricey plastic.
Wouldn't that make them rarer and, hence, more expensive?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 116
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ Send a message via Skype™ to ElementZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I think he means that cracked plastic = cheaper. He's not referring to the ones that aren't cracked.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Part of what I always thought sold people on CE in the first place is the durability and retention of its flight characteristics. Now that it's no longer bulletproof, why pay the premium for it? KC Pros seen a rise in price lately. I imagine once it stops being the next bulletproof plastic, old Champ will bring the premium.

What do I know though? I'm just a simple disc thrower. Your collecting ways frighten and confuse me.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 23
I have to agree, especially with the facebook thing.

This issue goes much deeper than the rare & OOP market. People are using flashy adjectives, as well as generous condition ratings to bait clueless people into paying much more than a fair price for a disc you can get off the shelf at PIAS.

I place absolutely no blame on the sellers, though. If someone is willing to buy a disc for way more than it's worth, why wouldn't you sell it? You would be foolish not to.

A recent example was the circle stamp Eagles. I wanted one beacuse I like Eagles, and they look really cool. They sold out quickly form the Innova store, and they immediately started popping up elsewhere online, selling for damn near twice as much as they were bought for originally. Not worth it to me. I'll take a stock stamp 12x any day of the week, and not feel terrible about losing it in the water.

I understand how a free market works, but the buying and selling of discs shouldn't be about making money. A second hand disc (even if it's new) should never sell for more than one straight from the store (I don't care how pearly and flat it is).

I occasionally browse the auction and collector sites, and have to restrain myself from pointing out how foolish these people are.

I have no real solution to this problem. Personally, I try to trade locally, or buy new from my neighborhood shop. And I don't mess around with the OOP market. There is too much fluctuation and gouging.

I could rant about this issue all day ($30 for a disc because it has a dye..)
A $30 used disc will not make you a 1000 rated golfer. Period.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 24
Certain blends of the 10x and 11x KC Pro's are really nice. Glad I stocked up a few years ago. 11x Champion has been creeping higher every year. The lowest prices I have seen on CE has been on dgcr.