Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHFH
My best advice is to not worry about throwing far. Focus on staying slow and smooth, and just use putters and mids to begin with. DX plastic is perfectly fine as it will help you understand how a discs flight can change over time. Putters aren't just for putts and approaches they can go surprisingly far and offer better control. For a first driver I'd recommend a Leopard, Gazelle,Cheetah, Cyclone or something similar in base plastic. Those discs can be thrown 350ft. plus, just because their called fairway drivers doesn't mean they can't bomb. Distance will come over time and with lots of practice. Those Buzzz's you got are great discs but the Nuke is way too fast for you at this point.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 47
I think a teebird or eagle is a very bad idea. When I started I just bought 3 discs from Play it Again Sports. I bought a driver, mid and putter. I bought a 175 Champion Eagle because it was tye-dyed. All it did was hook hard left quickly. I almost quit DG before I got started.

Do not get an eagle or a teebird (more overstable than an eagle). I soon got a 155 Champion Valkyrie. It was very helpful to me for the first six months. I also had a DX Aviar and a 150 DX Stingray.

Among Innova brand discs, I think Valkyrie, Leopard, and Sidewinder are good beginner drivers and will serve you well later when you get better. Drivers that are 165-169 will eventually be a good idea until you get much better. I like mids and putters a little heavier now.

A good mid like a Stingray or Cobra is also good. A Shark is more stable as well as a Buzzz, and they are both good discs. The point is that understable and not high speed discs will be best as this time. Overstable discs will also cover up your form problems and create long term issues. Good luck.

Last edited by UKfan; 02-03-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: correct
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 47
I want to add that everyone on this site are likely better players than me. However, my limited experience might give me some insight into the issues of a beginner.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
I totally understand where everyone is coming from bashing about "technique first" which I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND (coming from playing sports my entire life) ... But i'm not the type to get discouraged and give up the game.

I had bookmarked the "Techniques" page like TBird told me about in the beginning of this thread as well as watching a lot of youtube videos ..

Starting this week I am now playing with multiple friends (instead of going myself after work for a quick 9 holes) so they should be able to give me a better understanding of some of my throw flaws.

I was basically curious now due to me being able to get a few other discs virtually free (even though her money is hers and mine is hers - marriage joke).

But thank you everyone for the ideas and i'll move over to the techniques thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Ask people around your course, especially the people who seem to know what they're doing. Odds are they'll have a stack of discs in their trunk that they've found over time.. I just gave away a stack of plastic to a couple that just started playing.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Maybe get a multicolor vibram trak or ascent. Both are good fairway drivers. I have two vibrams that are very colorful and I notice when I throw them badly that you really notice the "floppy" release. It may help you notice bad releases.