Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 176
Throwing Style: RHBH
Disclaimer: I'm a primarily RHBH thrower and I don't throw forehand much.

The shot you want is a very touchy shot for a forehand player. Much easier to execute with a backhand.

Generating more spin is done by keeping your wrist loose, and delaying the actual snap/acceleration of the disc as much as possible while the rest of your body is getting into place to accelerate the disc.

If you want to watch videos, Big Jerm (Jeremy Koling) generates a lot of spin with his forehand. It's easier for him because he's so lanky, but you can get similar results emulating his form. I notice he tends to lag his shoulder behind a bit and then using it to help add to the acceleration as he snaps.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 15
Hyzer flipping an understable disc isnt exactly a low risk/easy thing to do. I mean maybe you just arent there yet. Hyzer flip itself depends drastically on the angle of the hyzer. Too much or too little angle on the hyzer will change the flight of the disc completely. Taking a disc and throwing it on the exact same angle isnt easy. My point is that its a touchy shot to do, you might be better off working on throwing discs flat at release and moving up to faster discs when you are ready.

Also looking at the discs you throw. Core's really dont fade that much, its my straight shooter thats in my bag. Maybe adjusting weights of the discs could help. A tad faster disc that might be good to try is a volt. Straight disc, not alot of fade. Flow also is a good one with not a ton of fade but thats a little faster.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Didn't read many posts, but throw a slower disc.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphancock1 View Post
Yeah, all of the above make sense.. I've noticed that approaches, thrown from a standstill with less power finish pretty straight, probably because the wrist action is the same but the power is less. Those aren't thrown with any hyzer, but when I drive with those same discs (core, fuse, comet) and they are in the air longer there is definitely more fade.

I do usually use a River for longer straight shots, but on the holes I'm thinking of, which are all very tight tunnels, even if I nail the release and it sails straight down the fairway, the fade still takes it JUST off into a very difficult approach position. That's why when I read about people usin hyzer flips for long straight shots with very little fade, I'm interested.. But in the field I haven't been able to make that happen. Probably the straightest shots have come from throwing a sidewinder with a very slight anhyzer, which flexes very slightly and finishes straight. The throws I'm thinking of we're also pretty low, so again probably hitting the ground before it has time to fade harder.

So, here's the big question.. How do I create more spin? I'm using the power forehand grip, middle finger pad on rim, index finger bent and pad on rim, thumb on flight plate above index finger. Trying to come into the reach back loose, and come forward smoothly with steadily increasing speed, then snapping my wrist closed and my index and middle fingers closed at the same time. Maybe I'm not pinching hard at the release? I'm super conscious of trying not to arm it.. And I don't throw any high speed over stable drivers.. I often play rounds driving only with midranges, and have seen improvement, but not much gain in terms of controlled distance. I don't care about throwing 400', I'd take being able to place this 250' drive in the middle of the tight fairways I play.
I personally find the 2 finger powergrip limits the range of motion in my wrist. I much prefer the 2 finger stack or one finger for all my flick shots. Maybe trying one of those grips you could get a little more action out of your wrist.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Yeah, I don't expect to be able to consistently nail hyzer flips after four months of playing, but I do want an understanding of the mechanics so that I'm not practicing the wrong way and reinforcing bad muscle memory. And the suggestion to use slower discs to maximize the spin to speed ratio is definitely something to try. Makes sense to me.

I was using the stack grip until a few weeks ago, but when I tried the power grip (and got it to stop shanking left) I immediately noticed a leap in glide and distance, and it just FELT like I was snapping it harder. But yeah, my wrists aren't super flexible.. I assume flexibility is better than strength? I work with my hands, so grip/wrist strength isn't a problem, but springiness may be.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphancock1 View Post
Yeah, I don't expect to be able to consistently nail hyzer flips after four months of playing, but I do want an understanding of the mechanics so that I'm not practicing the wrong way and reinforcing bad muscle memory. And the suggestion to use slower discs to maximize the spin to speed ratio is definitely something to try. Makes sense to me.

I was using the stack grip until a few weeks ago, but when I tried the power grip (and got it to stop shanking left) I immediately noticed a leap in glide and distance, and it just FELT like I was snapping it harder. But yeah, my wrists aren't super flexible.. I assume flexibility is better than strength? I work with my hands, so grip/wrist strength isn't a problem, but springiness may be.
I would vote flexibility is better than strength.

As for making sure you are doing it the right way, the best way in my opinion to judge that is by watching the flight of your disc. Later on it will become more of a "touch" thing where you have the feel and muscle memory to throw that shot and you can know right out of your hand if you executed properly or not.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 23
A Fuse fades? I agree with the point to break in your discs more - I have a 162 Star Vulcan with 500+ throws on it that won't fade back to save its life. The Fuse really should be the ideal disc to practice hyzer flips with. I can hyzer flip mine into a straight shot at 175 + feet.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
Also remember that with hyzer flips as the disc flips up flat it rises higher in the air so it may also be as simple as your getting to much air underneath it. Any disc no matter how beat will fade out eventually cause of the gyroscopic principle on which discs fly. So just try starting them off lower. It's much easier in my opinion to change point of aim than to change something in your form. I'm not saying its not one of or a combination of what's already been suggested. I'm just saying if your flicking all that flippy stuff with success your form is probably pretty solid. I know when I throw a hyzer flip I usually start it off lower and it finishes straighter. Work smarter not harder.