Old 08-01-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Looks to me like he was just using a base layer of soap in a pan (nebula - like setup) ... and then just sprinkling the dye powder straight onto the soap bed.
I'm gonna try that, but i have to get some more dye since i dissolved all of mine in solution.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm thinking somewhat along the same lines as Goosefraba - but instead of sprinkling dye powder into a soap bed, maybe putting a soap/dye mixture into a spray bottle & spraying directly onto the disc (while it lays flat)...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
So I tried sprinkling dye powder straight onto a bed of detergent.

I don't think it is how this effect was done, but it still looks pretty cool, and could be cooler if I used more colors and mixed them together. It seems to me that it looks more similar to some of goosefraba's gobstopper type discs than the effect in this thread.

I used crimson on one side, violet in the middle, and blue on the other side. I used less violet than blue, and less crimson than violet, trying to get some varying effects here. The disc I used was extremely domey, so the middle spread out and kinda smeared more than I would like - towards the edges looks better.

I am defintely going to try this with brighter colors on a white star disc. The next one I am doing for myself is a white star Cro, so maybe I'll do this for the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powder.jpg (86.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg powdertwo.jpg (88.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg powderthree.jpg (106.6 KB, 44 views)

Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
So I tried sprinkling dye powder straight onto a bed of detergent.

I don't think it is how this effect was done, but it still looks pretty cool, and could be cooler if I used more colors and mixed them together. It seems to me that it looks more similar to some of goosefraba's gobstopper type discs than the effect in this thread.

I used crimson on one side, violet in the middle, and blue on the other side. I used less violet than blue, and less crimson than violet, trying to get some varying effects here. The disc I used was extremely domey, so the middle spread out and kinda smeared more than I would like - towards the edges looks better.

I am defintely going to try this with brighter colors on a white star disc. The next one I am doing for myself is a white star Cro, so maybe I'll do this for the background.
That's not the effect intended, but still looks pretty cool... kinda like Granite.

I think Odyssey was onto something when he mentioned how Jeff Ash said that he figured out how to dye Pro plastic... and I'm pretty sure the Pro Wraith was one of his discs.

I also agree that the Wraith would be hard to find in the woods, but that can be altered with different colors, design, enhancements,... etc