Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSlug46637 View Post
This sounds like a great idea! If you want disc golf to permanently be a recreational hobby. If, however, you consider it to be a legitimate sport then eliminating Professional competition is far from the answer.

The way I see it there are 2 reasons to play amateur disc golf tournaments: 1, because you love the game and competition. Or 2, because you are trying to gain competitive experience in the hopes of joining the professional ranks.

Note: getting stuff is neither of those reasons. Of course it's cool to get stuff, but that's what Birthdays are for. Play the game or go home.
I'm not talking about ending "professional competition" (if that phrase includes the local "pros" playing for each other's entry fees at a thousand B- and C-tiers), just not paying them in cash. After all, we've been paying them in cash for 30 years, and it hasn't put us in the big-time.

Not sure why playing to "get stuff" is childish, but playing to "get cash" is noble, especially if "getting cash" really means just gambling with the other local pros.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
While I'm at it, a Chicken/Egg question:

Do we pay our top division in cash because they're Pros?

Or do we call them Pros because we pay them in cash?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There are a number of hot threads running right now.
Damn good thing you started another...
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
While I'm at it, a Chicken/Egg question:

Do we pay our top division in cash because they're Pros?

Or do we call them Pros because we pay them in cash?

[Man, you guys were up LATE last night]

Answer: Definitely the latter!! We HAVE no "Pros" (not in the true sense of the word)...or virtually none. Houck (course designer) is a Pro. McCormick (disc maker) is a Pro. Southwick (disc distributor) is a Pro. Maybe the top hand-full of players TRY to be Pros. Heck, Brinster is top-10 and Leslie (wife) isn't about to let him quit his day job (needs to support the family in a VIABLE manner). All the so-called Pros are just "gambling" for each other's beer money.

Karl
Ps: And "AMs" aren't totally truly AMs either.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
$5 per player covers maybe the sanctioning fees. If you don't sanction, it costs at least that to get insurance coverage required by most cities/park districts to run that kind of event. Now print scorecards, pay the rental fee for the course, do all the work to get the course ready for the tournament, spend a chunk of time advertising the tournament so you get a good turnout, suddenly you're in a deep hole.
I was talking about unsanctioned. If it's sanctioned one would do what is always done and pass the cost onto the player. The tournament would cost $42 instead. (The last time I was quoted a price for insurance for the club for an entire year, it was $400, I would suggest you shop around if you're paying close to that amount for just one event.) Print scorecards? Really? I'm not familiar with a rental fee for the course, but that too could be added to the cost of the tournament, $43 now. Courses are well maintained, check. Advertising is an hour or two on the computer, check. Deep hole? Come on now.