Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtheviking5 View Post
So I'm trying to come up with some attainable goals to work toward and while playing at oak grove a couple weeks ago I thought it would be cool to play the 10 or 15 oldest courses. I know oak grove was the 1st course ever and huntington beach is 2nd I think. Anybody know where it goes from there?
what would be really cool is to play the first course installed in each state.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Leonard park in Mt Kisco, NY is a Steady Ed course. It's been mentioned earlier, it's old, it's fun to play, and looks like some of the baskets are original.

But...Not for long. Our local club, WeDGE (Westchester Disc Golf Enthusiasts) is raising money for new baskets.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I mean the baskets are really bad. Some have been replaced- a long time ago, and one is still missing (14 and 20 share the same basket). But that's part of the character of the place. And it's never crowded. Even if the park is crowded with summer camp kids the course plays back up in the woods and you rarely come across other people.

With 18 or 21 shiny new baskets it will definitely be an awesome course but it won't be the same. But then again maybe that's how the original players felt about changing from tone poles to baskets. Anyway, if you're thinking of playing Leonard Park and want to do it before the change you've probably got a year.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: LHBH
^Your club has awesome bag tags.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Didn't know I'd played a Steady Ed course until I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to see how old a course in Springfield, MO was that I knew was old... just didn't realize how old... 1979!

Oak Grove Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packers4 View Post
White Birch DGC outside of St. Louis was established in 1979, oldest in Missouri.
I've actually heard that the Albert Oakland Front course in Columbia is the oldest in Missouri. White Birch, Oak Grove and AO Front all have 1979 install dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
what would be really cool is to play the first course installed in each state.
Kind of the problem is that feat is going to be impossible as some of those don't exist anymore.