Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorri67 View Post
On a broader scale, what's a good barometer in general for what class you should play in?
Once you've played a few events, your rating. At least until you reach the upper 900s and other considerations of whether to go pro come into play.

By the way, it's "division", not "class".

Comparing your casual round scores to previous tournaments is as good a way as any to guess where you should start. With these caveats: As others have mentioned, you'll very likely shoot worse in a tournament than you normally do. And, ask the TD if there's much difference between the tournament layout and the everyday layout.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
I'd play in the division that you feel will give you the best competition, fun, and learning experience. Smaller tourneys here if you play rec you're going to be lucky to have a full group and you will not be pushed to play your best. Intermediate is where I feel I'm going to play my best and learn how to play more competitive. Maybe that's just around here but unless you're new to the sport most people play intermediate once they have a tournament or two under their belt.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedhogan View Post
Im from knoxville and jw which courses it will be at?
It will be at Victor Ashe and Morningside...check out the Knoxville Disc Golf Forums, they have some more information on the tournament if you're interested.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 12
I played in my first sanctioned tournament this past weekend on my home course. I played rec division. The first round went OK, but I played awful the second one. if I could have just shot for my average score on the second one I would have been in the top 10. I was kinda disappointed in myself. I still had fun though and met some great people from other areas. it was a good experience. I played a charity tournament a couple of weeks before that and placed 3rd. I plan on staying in rec for awhile.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorri67 View Post
Should I stay in rec and reevaluate where I should be after the tournament? Or should I try to challenge myself and go ahead and try to move up to intermediate?

On a broader scale, what's a good barometer in general for what class you should play in?
I'd recommend rec for your first tourney to get a feel for the difference from casual rounds and basic tourney play and rules. I believe you learn more and improve faster when you play with better people and tourneys, field work practice, and good online help are the fast track. Intermediate is the perfect level to get a feel for the rules and a taste of competitive play. If you win at Intermediate, especially in a big tourney, its time to move up to advanced. If you're consistently cashing in Intermediate perhaps a tourney in advanced might be a better test.

My advise, perhaps a few years in the future, is don't go Pro until winning plastic has lost its appeal or you want to push yourself further than the advanced players can teach you. However, if a big intermediate or advanced tourney that year has a new basket for first place I'd encourage you to stay at your current level, win that big tourney for the basket, and then move up☺
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 15
My first tourney I started in MA2, and would recommend the same for you. I signed up for the lowest class that still played from the long tees.

From my experience, MA2 is still plenty full of people newer to the sport, and will expose you to higher level of play. As long as you go into it knowing its your first tournament and you are ok with wherever you finish I'd say go for it. There is nothing to lose.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Like you, I'm playing in my first tournament this upcoming weekend. I've been playing for about 3 years now and am starting to take my game much more seriously. For this tournament, I'm playing MA3 (Recreational). I figured based on my years of play, it's a good starting point.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 57
yeah, hang in rec, if its ur first tourney you always get a pass. if u play really well your rating should bump ya to int
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewton3 View Post
Like you, I'm playing in my first tournament this upcoming weekend. I've been playing for about 3 years now and am starting to take my game much more seriously. For this tournament, I'm playing MA3 (Recreational). I figured based on my years of play, it's a good starting point.
yeah and plus alot of "first time" tourney players shoot a little worse because of the added pressure, so starting in rec is perfect

Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
yeah and plus alot of "first time" tourney players shoot a little worse because of the added pressure, so starting in rec is perfect
I know I'll definitely be nervous. Typically, when I play with a group of random people at the park, my first few drives are off based on nerves. Once I get going, everything falls into place.

Definitely excited for this weekend! We've got an awesome player pack and I look forward to putting my skills to the test!