Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 186
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Weather/heat in south not a factor with Huntsville, Augusta and Houston all hosting. Twin Cities Worlds in 2001 credited as the hottest ever even by southerners who attended.
Still got a picture of 111 on the Thunderbird Hotel Thermometer at 10 PM the day that the Vikings player died form heat stroke.

But at least like in Miami - it was a humid 111 that felt like 116, so I was used to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 121
... and the Chamber of Commerce gal checking us in at GBO kinda let the cat out of the bag. She mentioned 2016 Pro Worlds and 2017 Am Worlds coming to Emporia, KS. I told her that nobody should really know that. It was priceless.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32
Courses Played: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
... and the Chamber of Commerce gal checking us in at GBO kinda let the cat out of the bag. She mentioned 2016 Pro Worlds and 2017 Am Worlds coming to Emporia, KS. I told her that nobody should really know that. It was priceless.
Did you just announce the 2017 Am Worlds is in Emporia??
Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Well Rusco mentioned it at the player's meeting that they were bidding for it, although I'd imagine that the PDGA had already decided by then.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Did you just announce the 2017 Am Worlds is in Emporia??
Spilling the beans in a story about telling someone they shouldn't be spilling the beans. That is priceless.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I would think having the people able, and willing, to run Worlds also narrows now the number of bidders. An increasing number of locations have sufficient courses. Having a local club or individuals capable of hosting such and event, and volunteering to do so, is probably quite a bit rarer.
^^^ I bet this is the case in 80% of the areas that people want to see worlds. When I was a board member of a larger club in North Texas we talked about submitting a bid during a few of our meetings. The general consensus was that we don't have the man power, time, money to put into realistically pulling off an even like this even though there are the courses close enough together to have it. It also doesn't help with the fact that the club is on the hook for nearly all of the $$$ loss and only half the profit. Makes it more of a labor of love than a legitimate business decision (unless you're DD and can pull it off with flying colors)
Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
^^^ I bet this is the case in 80% of the areas that people want to see worlds. When I was a board member of a larger club in North Texas we talked about submitting a bid during a few of our meetings. The general consensus was that we don't have the man power, time, money to put into realistically pulling off an even like this even though there are the courses close enough together to have it. It also doesn't help with the fact that the club is on the hook for nearly all of the $$$ loss and only half the profit. Makes it more of a labor of love than a legitimate business decision (unless you're DD and can pull it off with flying colors)
Manpower is the key. St. Louis has plenty of courses that could support either Pro or Am or even combined, but no real manpower past the board members. It's a shame really.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM

Im sure everyone saw that 2016 worlds is in Emporia. Kind of bummed honestly. The courses are well designed but not very fun to watch. Nothing like Oregon. Pittsburgh is probably going to be really beautiful as well. Oh well.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:43 PM

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 23
Can you give an example?