Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I'm so glad I started playing in an era where you didn't have a lot of options and could get by with a Cyclone and a putter.
I was just saying to a new player that he is lucky today that there are good throwing resources on the Internet. When I was learning the stock answer when you turned something over was that "you have too much snap and need something more overstable" even if your throw only went 150 ft. I got to spend a dozen years tearing up my shoulder torquing the living **** out of Vipers just so they could go nowhere and the only advice I was getting was "throw a Ram" or "get a heavier one." Now I have so many years of muscle memory from all those years throwing like crap that it is next to impossible for me to not roll my wrist when I throw. So there are two sides to the "good old days."
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 156
Apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
As a FH dominant player for over 20 years, this statement does not compute.
Apologies, I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with throwing forehand pre-dominantly or even exclusively. But I have noticed that people who come from a Frisbee/Ultimate background (including myself) start with the backhand and without instruction, struggle horribly to get it out to 200 feet and even then it usually has a hook. Then they (I) try a flick and voila, the throw easily carries 200 and is usually straighter. My problem is that then they never go back to the backhand or worse, they start telling their less experienced friends that the forehand is the best way to throw. It may be (as it appears to be for you) but IMHO most beginners are better off learning the backhand first and then working the forehand into their game (or at least learning them equally). It is easy to show someone how to alter their backhand to make the disc curve the other way than it is to get the forehand to do it (with any semblance of control). On wide open holes (flat or uphill), I still use the forehand to get that effortless distance. And of course, if a wooded hole curves to the right (I'm RH) I will also use it.
I just think that exclusive forehand for beginners just to get that extra distance does them a disservice. My friend was throwing all forehands because that's what "the guy" said he should do. I took him to the practice area and taught him the basic grip and motion for the backhand and within 30 minutes he was outthrowing his forehand and with better accuracy.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 118
When I encounter newer players who are throwing too big of discs, I like to give them a disc from my bag that would fit their throw, usually a slower disc. But for a beginner who throws forehand on an anhyzer and it just takes a dump, I will give him an overstable disc that will flex nicely and give him that nice S-shaped shot. Or a new player who is throwing a boss backhand that just dies 130' out, I will give them a nicely seasoned leopard or even a midrange and have them throw that. Then they can decide for themselves if they really need that beefy disc or if they could try something a little slower.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.3
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
sometimes i'll pull aside the person throwing nukes/destroyers and have them throw their putters from the tee as far as they can. Then their distance drivers. When we walk out to pick up their discs and see the putters are within 10 feet of the drivers, their eyes go wide and they start experimenting with slower discs.
i have done this also
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Hey, first time poster here, I just found this site. I don't get to play all the much, so I am hoping that posting about dg will help sate my needs.

I am crazy jealous that during your lunch you can just go outside and play a few rounds. I would take a significant pay cut to work at a place like that, good for you. When I started, I would buy a disc almost every time I went out, more often than not whatever my more seasoned friends would hint towards. I liked some and hated some but I still really enjoy trying new discs. Sure, I suppose that I waste some money and I do tend to go back to a few favorites but whatever, trying new discs is fun.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Yesterday I was discing with my son, a friend and his son. We had time for a second round, but only if we made it quick. I suggested a putter-only round.

My friend who has only been playing about six months posted his best score ever and more than once commented that his putter went nearly as far as his drivers with better accuracy. An enlightening moment for him, for sure.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
Yesterday I was discing with my son, a friend and his son. We had time for a second round, but only if we made it quick. I suggested a putter-only round.

My friend who has only been playing about six months posted his best score ever and more than once commented that his putter went nearly as far as his drivers with better accuracy. An enlightening moment for him, for sure.
It can be humbling I think for some people to see that. Putters going farther and more predictable than a guys Nuke is a great thing to see.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBloomingdale View Post
I am crazy jealous that during your lunch you can just go outside and play a few rounds. I would take a significant pay cut to work at a place like that, good for you.
Yes this is nice, I just hope that the inexpensive route to getting this started doesn't hurt it in the long run. Executives might not understand that the typical baskets last much longer that one season or so, or that the tee boxes should have been poured when funds were available not poured once and then poured again when more funds are there. To them you need to show them it is not a waste of money, so hopefully people playing does that.

I took the family to the course today as they always hear me talking about it, and the first comments was why is the sign for the hole at the end of the teebox on the right side, won't you hurt your hand. I said I have brought this up and maybe whomever is in charge will move them after a few people hurt themselves.