Old 07-22-2016, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
One of my buddies had a Jawbreaker challenger at leagues last night. It looks great in real life but it's not as rubbery/vibram-y as I was expecting.

First of all, it's pretty stiff. Even in >90F heat it was pretty firm...almost as stiff as a KC pro aviar is at that temp.

Second of all, it was really slippery...almost felt oily. It was fingerprinty in the way that some old run Z/9x plastics are, but not nearly as grippy. This might have been the plastic "sweating out" some components due to the aforementioned heat. Still, for a plastic that has been advertised as very grippy, this was a big disappointment to me. I thought that scuffing it up with some dirt/sandpaper might help to get some grip, but my friend wasn't willing to scratch up his new disc just yet, so not 100% sure.

The local shop has Zones, Challengers, Magnets and Banger GTs. The Challengers are like you described. The other discs were all pretty grippy. I think it could be a batch issue.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
The local shop has Zones, Challengers, Magnets and Banger GTs. The Challengers are like you described. The other discs were all pretty grippy. I think it could be a batch issue.
Weird. Are the other molds flexible or stiff?

How flat are the Zones?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Birdie Member

I don't know man, I've only used 3 of their discs until I decided to order a mystery pack from them of 10 discs and 2 out of the 3 are my go to discs and the other was a TI nuke that was super OS that I lost. I'm impressed with the discs I got in this bundle that I've thrown enough, it's all Z plastic and I like all of them that I've thrown so far. It's been to hot and humid to test/use them all lately tho.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Weird. Are the other molds flexible or stiff?

How flat are the Zones?
Zones were pretty flat and fairly stiff with nice grip. Magnets were softer than the Zones. Don't really remember much about the Bangers. The Challengers definitely stood out as being considerably different than the others.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I use discs from practically every company, they all have their strengths. My biggest love for Discraft is their "Z" plastic. I think it is the most durable plastic available, period! But that's just my opinion, others will vary.
Heh. My primary driver for ages was a Discraft Eclipse in D-Line. The Eclipse is now OOP. SO, I went looking for new disc models to throw. I got in some Discraft models to try and they were almost all Elite Z plastic.

I quickly found that I hate Elite Z. Didn't care for it to the point that I didn't try to throw the discs enough times to decide if I liked them or not. Gave the molds in Z away.

I wasn't able to track down suitable replacements in Elite X or D-Line at the time, either. I gave up on Discraft at that point. If I can't get molds in plastics I can at least tolerate, I won't be throwing them.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFL View Post
Heh. My primary driver for ages was a Discraft Eclipse in D-Line. The Eclipse is now OOP. SO, I went looking for new disc models to throw. I got in some Discraft models to try and they were almost all Elite Z plastic.

I quickly found that I hate Elite Z. Didn't care for it to the point that I didn't try to throw the discs enough times to decide if I liked them or not. Gave the molds in Z away.

I wasn't able to track down suitable replacements in Elite X or D-Line at the time, either. I gave up on Discraft at that point. If I can't get molds in plastics I can at least tolerate, I won't be throwing them.
You may think I'm cray-cray but give the Lightning #1 Driver a shot, seriously. It has a very similar flight, maybe a little faster and less glide but made in their low end plastic. Nothing really beat the Eclipse when it came to glide.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 30

Just picked up one of the best feeling Challengers (nay discs) I've ever felt. It was at Academy. White Pro D, max weight but it feels like they dumped sawdust into the the plastic. Very nice. I'm guessing it was an oddball D from the Jawbreaker runs
Old 07-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17

I picked up a Jawbreaker Zone and am really liking it a lot. It definitely was NOT as grippy as expected, but I don;t like my throwers to have a ton of grip anyways, as I find it easier to get a consistent clean release. Mine was FLAT, any more it would have been a puddle top, and firm. Somewhere between DX and XT.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 36

Hmmm gotta try this new D and jawbreaker stuff.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:16 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Hmmm gotta try this new D and jawbreaker stuff.
It is a step up for sure! #MOARPLASTIX4ALL