Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Disc Popping up

Hi all. First post here. I've only been playing a few months but yesterday my buddy pointed out to me on several of my drives that when I throw it straight, in about the 1/2 way or 3/4 point in the flight, the disc pops up a little bit in the air. Is this a normal factor of glide? Or was this some kind of an S shot or Hyzer flip? I wasn't sure what the reason for this was and if it was helping my distance, hurting it, or neither.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
"nose up" generally causes air bounces and earlier fade of a disc as well as loss in distance. Its a fairly common issue with newer players but focus on keeping the disc even on a line when trying to throw it vs a low to high reach-back and making sure to keep a downward wrist angle like shaking a hand.

without knowing exactly what you are referring to or seeing its hard to know for sure whats going on.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 PM
FROLF OFF!

http://discgolfreview.com/resources/...ttoripit.shtml
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Thanks. I'll check the nose angle, but it was fairly low to the ground (maybe ten feet) so I didn't think it was that off the top of my head.

If you're throwing a hyzer or anhyzer, do you still want the disc to be even on a line? Because I was thinking for an anny you'd want to start the disc higher, around the shoulder? And a Hyzer would start a little bit lower?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 PM
FROLF OFF!

The start can be the same generally its the angle of the shoulders/arm which is more important. Exaggerating the starting points will make for more extreme lines like a roller or spike hyzer. Same with longer turnover shots with a understable disc where you over the disc closed stance or large flex with very OS disc having a more open stance.

Ill have to do some searching around but there is a youtube video of dave Feldberg explaining this where basically a lot of people try to manipulate the angle vs throw on that line. When you do it right you know exactly what the difference is and it takes anyway any wrist roll which is used to force the disc into a angle.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM

cool thanks for the tips
Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
FROLF OFF!

no problem-- I think it was this video and ill link the follow up one they did as well which both are great watches when you have time!

Dave talks about angles and shots:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

and..

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePutter View Post
Thanks. I'll check the nose angle, but it was fairly low to the ground (maybe ten feet) so I didn't think it was that off the top of my head.

Sounds like you are describing the Air Bounce.

The Air Bounce: This throw is released at a downward angle, but with a high angle of attack. This throw will move toward the ground at first before downwash causes it to rise, giving the visual effect of the disc "bouncing" in the air. This is done by pressing down with the thumb, which lowers the trailing edge at the instant of release.