Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
what is your typical release angle? are you doing a hyzer-flip (release on a hyzer angle and the understability of the disc causes it to flip up flat or even to turn over right) or are you trying to release flat?

especially if you are still learning the mechanics of throwing, i think it is easier to keep a consistent release angle but let your disc selection do the work. in that case, a slight hyzer release is most effective. same throwing motion but if you want to go left then throw a firebird, if you want to go straight then throw that beast, if you want to go right then throw something like a valk or leo.
more hyzery with light discs... keep it flatter with heavier ones... I have a bum shoulder so when it's hurting I've been using light drivers and when it's fine I use heavier ones... invariably its probably all hyzer flips...though to be fair (and slightly ridiculous) I got long arms and it's tough to see all the way out there...

I'm happy with the drives now they're straight and distance is good...

still that 175-100 ft suuuucks...
Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythy View Post
more hyzery with light discs... keep it flatter with heavier ones... I have a bum shoulder so when it's hurting I've been using light drivers and when it's fine I use heavier ones... invariably its probably all hyzer flips...though to be fair (and slightly ridiculous) I got long arms and it's tough to see all the way out there...

I'm happy with the drives now they're straight and distance is good...

still that 175-100 ft suuuucks...

A small side note - you may want to stay consistent with your disc weights. Like, I try to keep most drivers between 160 and 166g. If you are switching weights constantly (and not just for wind conditions, etc) you are going to have a difficult time achieving muscle memory.

My friends all drive with nothing but overstable crap and flex shot every hole, then get mad when I out drive them with a putter. Get really comfortable with your putters and mids.

I won't touch my fairway drivers until the hole is 300'+.

One last thing - If I find myself with an awkward distance that I feel a backhand might not have much control with (100' - 150'), I will do a touch-flick approach. This kind of takes the guess work out of your backhand line, and you can focus on your target without turning your head away. I find it easier to gauge distance that way.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Par Member

much thanks everyone... I've definitely got some ideas to try...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Played a few rounds lately from red tees or short tees in a few different parks to lock my mid game back in. I recently lost my seasond Roc3. Went to the red tees so I could use the new Roc3 on about all holes and declared my new roc ready for action.

With all the focus of getting long drives off the long tees it was fun and different playing short tees. In my area the short tees are not just short, they often have very different lines & trees to navigate. This was a nice tune up for my mid-short game.

Went back to the long tees last week with friends and parked most every up shot no matter how good or bad my tee shots were.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Par Member

well... I overthrew a hole today for the first time, so we're adjusting some distance issues still...

continued thanks for the advice... broke my cumulative score (best overall scores on each hole combined into a round) at Wickham today by a throw as a 77... which is +19, that's right only one more than and extra throw per hole...
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 13
Find a shorter pitch an putt course and play it with Only mids and putters.......on a shorter course, your tee shot will represent your up shot on a longer hole. You'll have to get up and down for bird, and that will only be = to scrambling to save par on a longer course. And , of course, it will help you dial your ranges better. I would also recommend some more overstable/ less glide discs for your mids. I am a roc guy, but I recently discovered the spider works well for me between 150-250.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Par Member

I called this growing pains. The student needs to find the solution.

Change is bad for the score but good for long run.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedInTheDesert View Post
I called this growing pains. The student needs to find the solution.

Change is bad for the score but good for long run.
I like this summation
It's true...

some catch with a friend at 150' today was helpful... putting practice too

ultimately I appreciate the previous advice in the thread and have tried to utilize it and wanted to give a little update...

thanks for the summation... it was just what I needed to hear... phrased perfectly