Disc Golf Store
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
I played a round and a half yesterday and although my driving was crap my putter was really doing well for me.

For me I'm a combination of Ricky and Nikko. I set up straddle style with my left foot a little forward. I put like Ricky but instead of the quick step I pull the disk a lot farther back between my legs on longer throws. I'm starting to get the finger spring really down and can generate some power with it.

It's been pretty windy this weak so I was forced to start putting some power on the push putt. I hold the disk with the knuckle of my index finger at the 1:00 position so I get a little more spin than you average grip.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
I tried incorporating Wysocki's "quick step" in my putting this week. Really liking it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 14
These guys, and maybe MJ are my favorite guys to watch putt. The flight of the disc is very smooth. For the life of me I cannot figure out how or what to do with my wrist to get such a clean release. I have the putting footwork down pretty well, it mostly looks like Nikko's. Anyways, these are two great putters and I like hearing the different comparisons.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
So I've watched that video from the OP of Nikko lots and lots of times. I'd call him more of a pitch putter, more like Climo as defined by the video from the Putting Styles Illustrated thread.

Anywho, I love how Nikko putts and it works very well for me putting with Rhynos. Pitch it like a softball with enough to get it there b/c there will be little/no glide to help you get it there.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Courses Played: 2
Hey, is that bead bit from Feldy true? How the bead was designed for the crook in your index finger as a guide, "not for flight characteristics". I've wondered that since I saw this video a few months back.

Also, personally, I kinda hate Feldy. This is like "Putting by Nikko (edited by feldy)". To me, he always seems to have to have the last word. I can see him over there cringing at some of Nikkos stances, lol. I just think it's really funny. Anyone else ever gotten the 'high and mighty' vibe from feldberg?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
These guys, and maybe MJ are my favorite guys to watch putt. The flight of the disc is very smooth. For the life of me I cannot figure out how or what to do with my wrist to get such a clean release. I have the putting footwork down pretty well, it mostly looks like Nikko's. Anyways, these are two great putters and I like hearing the different comparisons.

Try handing the basked a plate of cookies instead of shaking the basket's hand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHawk View Post
Hey, is that bead bit from Feldy true? How the bead was designed for the crook in your index finger as a guide, "not for flight characteristics". I've wondered that since I saw this video a few months back.

Also, personally, I kinda hate Feldy. This is like "Putting by Nikko (edited by feldy)". To me, he always seems to have to have the last word. I can see him over there cringing at some of Nikkos stances, lol. I just think it's really funny. Anyone else ever gotten the 'high and mighty' vibe from feldberg?
Feldy high and mighty?!?!??? Never ...

Beads are counterproductive to projectile flight (creates a pocket of turbulence); so I would think he's probably right.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Par Member

Organic voodoo's putting is the best.

All those other noobs can't compete.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicvoodoo View Post
Organic voodoo's putting is the best.

All those other noobs can't compete.

That post rivals this one in terms of substance added to the conversation

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHawk View Post

It seems clear he considers himself the professor and the younger guys his teaching assistants. On the other hand, I think he is technically the best at teaching groups of people. So maybe there is some justification there, and maybe the other guys count on him for help in that area. He does try to be respectful, as he contradicts what you just said :P This is another example of that with Cam Todd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtO3pwFesZ0

I love to watch all these DG training videos, but no doubt you really, really, really have to take everything they say with a grain of salt, especially with putting. Like Nikko here is emphasizing his high release as how he makes sure the disc has a chance to go in, and doesn't fall short. Then you watch Ricky and he stops abruptly and doesn't follow through high like that. Then Felberg talks about the whole key is not to use the wrist to propel the Disc. But if you watch Dave Dunipace's putting video here, he is all about the wrist propelling the disc. (push vs spin putters).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0ak4GP_cg

I just try to take something away from each guy and see how it works for me. Some things are clearly universal:

- Stance should be comfortable, stable and athletic.
- You should feel weight shift forward smoothly in time with your arm motion.
- Your grip should allow for control, but the contact points should be consistent on release.
- You should keep the disc on a line through your target starting from your practice swings until you release the disc.

A lot of the other things are just what works best for that guy with that style.

These videos, along with this one from Philo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6pdd-ETeos

Make me want to change my style to a up and down motion. I just extend out my arm, more like Nate Doss or Matt Orum does, but I really like the idea of keeping the line straight left to right by only having that up and down motion and not using wrist action.

Another nice compilation of different pro putting styles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLoY-vQUYAI