Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up for a pic of Carroll Marty in the OP. I actually know Carroll. He's a crazy old guy with a work ethic that would put any and all of ours to shame. He's been building things for Iowa State and the city of Ames for 30+ years and all he asks for in return is tickets to sporting events he wants to go to.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Then you would have LOVED playing with me this weekend
Every shot I had Friday either landed in a brush or behind a tree. It was like every tree have had one little branch in my throwing lane.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 88
My favorite to throw andmy favorite to watch is a putt that is LONG and everyone knows its in when it leaves the hand...also love throwing a hyzer flip throw a tight gap,

To watch...I love watching shimmer throw a comet
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 45
My favorite throw is probably a hyzer flip that turns slightly passed the neutral position and slowly holds the turn.

Also... really love watching people that are good at overhand... I'm not very good at it... so it is mesmerizing to see.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
Chickenwing.
Dude, one day while out throwing this random dude caught up to our group...he had on skinny jeans, cowboy boots with the spurs, a cowboy hat, and a giant dip in his mouth....he had three discs and that was it...we let him play through

He casually walked to the top of the tee pad, and RIPPED a stand still chicken wing through a tight gap and parked a 280 ft uphill shot...he then said thank ya'll, walked to get his disc, and we never have seen him since

THAT was my favorite shot i've ever watched!

If you are on this site teach me your ways
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 67
Wow, hey. It's me!

Since it's been 2 and a half years since I last posted, how about I re-post.

I'm gonna drop the forehand roller for a less-seen shot.

Basically a massive hyzerflip with a very understable disc. When you want a disc to go left, then straight and possibly a little right (or S curve). I take something like a beat 168 Pro Destroyer or the brand new mvp amp for something slower, put it on a steep (angle about like /) hyzer. The steepness of the hyzer depends on how much you want it to flip up and/or over after it levels out.

Most holes that are "hyzer holes" aren't even curved, they are straight with a left or right finish. Picture the opposite, you have to make a corner first, then go straight. Executing that shot is just awesome.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTERBACK View Post
Thumbs up for a pic of Carroll Marty in the OP. I actually know Carroll. He's a crazy old guy with a work ethic that would put any and all of ours to shame. He's been building things for Iowa State and the city of Ames for 30+ years and all he asks for in return is tickets to sporting events he wants to go to.
Huh. I have heard that he still wanders around the course, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet. Thank you for that information about him and the legacy that he is leaving here in Ames.

That shot is a tricky one. Now with minimal leaves and foliage, my friends can hit a low drive underneath the branches on the right and get to the basket. During the warmer months, that path closes up. This one is a good hole along with 5 pro tee and pro tee on 16.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
Basically a massive hyzerflip with a very understable disc. When you want a disc to go left, then straight and possibly a little right (or S curve). I take something like a beat 168 Pro Destroyer or the brand new mvp amp for something slower, put it on a steep (angle about like /) hyzer. The steepness of the hyzer depends on how much you want it to flip up and/or over after it levels out.

Most holes that are "hyzer holes" aren't even curved, they are straight with a left or right finish. Picture the opposite, you have to make a corner first, then go straight. Executing that shot is just awesome.
this is one of my favorites too. a variation on it would be like hole 2 West at Milo, a big curve to the left that then goes back right to straighten out for another 250 feet to the basket. i used a super beat in P-PD on a massive hyzer, it took the turn, straightened out, then rode flat while fighting the fade to penetrate towards the basket. pure awesomeness.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 101
My favorite shot would have to be the hyzer-flip for huge distance. I just love watching the disc flip up and glide for seemingly forever (the chuckers' comments are always fun, too).

My second favorite shot would have to be the long 350'+ mid range shot that just goes dead nuts straight for its entire flight. There is something about seeing a shot go that far on a frozen rope that I can't quite seem to get over.

My third favorite shot would have to be the huge, slow, floaty anhyzer like you would throw with a Comet. There is no way that a disc flying so slow should ever get that kind of distance.