Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
I thought I was better than I was, and realized I wasn't, mostly because my brother and I had won an unsanctioned doubles tourney not long before that. Played my first PDGA tourney about 2 months after I got my PDGA number (right after that doubles win), over a year after starting to play. Felt pretty bad about how I played, but good about the overall experience. Funny thing is, I remember thinking at the time, "these guys I'm playing with are pretty good!" and now, probably 30 months later, most of those guys are still playing intermediate or rec golf. I was glad I had brushed up on the PDGA rules, though. Make sure you're familiar with both general and competition rules.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think my first tournament was the local Ice Bowl. It was only a year ago, but my memory of it isn't very clear. Not because I was drunk but because it started at 8ish in the morning and I'm not a morning person. How stupid is that?! Eight in the morning?!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 15
stay positive. Even if you play bad, be a good sport and stay positive. Thats the best advice i could ever give. The more i play the more i learn how important this is and it effects your play and everyone in the group. Unless everyone is wearing headphones i guess.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
I just went to my first tourney as well, but as a caddie. People keep asking me how I did afterwards and I'd say: "No birdies…but I didn't have any bogies either." We played some random draw doubles the day before and that was really fun. Choked on the alternate shot tees. Caddying was a blast though. Got to see some great shots from some big guns. Hope to do it again. As far as playing in a tourney in the future goes, I would like to, if for no other reason than to meet new people, see old friends and support the game. I would highly suggest to anyone who hasn't been and wants to get better in every phase of the game to go to a tournament. Enlightening.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

My palms were sweaty, knees weak and arms heavy. I had vomit on my sweater, mom's spaghetti. I was nervous, but on the surface I looked calm and ready.