Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Seriously, you bust this out on Sunday morning? My head already hurts. Can't we just talk about dogs on the course and stuff?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 143
You can't substitute experience. As Nike would say... Just Do It. *swoosh sign*copyright logo*
Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
You could make your own chart, just take your anemometer with you when you do field work. Since it sound like you want stable flights just record which disc was the most stable(straight) and how fast the wind was. Repeat at a bunch of different wind speeds and you will have a list of which discs work best at different wind speeds (for you.)
Yea that's kinda what I was aiming for on responses. Just do it.
I know what my discs will do but if I wanted to buy a similar disc that might be between the ones I already own I guess I have to go with Vibram!
I have always heard " don't use that Destroyer cause you can't get it up to speed" I still would love to know exactly what the speed(mph) is.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Like this:
165 Destroyer -----------------45 mph
175 Destroyer------------------48 MPH
175 Max------------------------53 mph
168 T-bird----------------------29 mph
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Just throw your plastic, man.
And I thought I take disc golf to seriously

Last edited by DiscinFiend; 02-02-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Yea that's kinda what I was aiming for on responses. Just do it.
I know what my discs will do but if I wanted to buy a similar disc that might be between the ones I already own I guess I have to go with Vibram!
I have always heard " don't use that Destroyer cause you can't get it up to speed" I still would love to know exactly what the speed(mph) is.
Putting MPH on a disc is a hard thing since most of us don't have access to a radar gun. That's why how far you throw often gets brought up when discussing not getting discs "up to speed."

I would guess that a Destroyer need ~45 mph+. But for me it's just easier to say if you can throw a Teebird 350'+ you should be able to get a Destroyer up to speed(though on the low side.) Also, if you can't throw a Teebird over 280' you aren't getting it* up to speed(assuming discs are fairly new and you not at high altitude.)

*the Teebird.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Putting MPH on a disc is a hard thing since most of us don't have access to a radar gun. That's why how far you throw often gets brought up when discussing not getting discs "up to speed."

I would guess that a Destroyer need ~45 mph+. But for me it's just easier to say if you can throw a Teebird 350'+ you should be able to get a Destroyer up to speed(though on the low side.) Also, if you can't throw a Teebird over 280' you aren't getting it* up to speed(assuming discs are fairly new and you not at high altitude.)

*the Teebird.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Yep I guess it's just a case of "Just know your discs". Practice in all conditions and have varying levels of stability in your discs.
Just thought there might be a lazy way out.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 1128
I don't throw all discs the same speed, the only time I threw at a radar gun, blizzard was an easy 10mph faster.

If that affects this discussion, I don't know.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Most things can be practiced and you can improve on them when you get good feedback on how well you are estimating things. For example, I started actively trying to guess how far away from the basket I am when I'm practicing in the field, and then looking at the 300ft tape measure I have laid out on the ground after I made my guess. After doing this for a while I have gotten much better at guessing what the approximate distance of a basket is just by looking at it. While for the most part I could always just look and throw and be pretty close, this exercise has made my approaches more accurate.

I say all of this because I think the same kind of technique could be applied to wind speed, and could make someone a better wind player. The process being: go out to the practice field and guess what the wind speed is (I couldn't tell you how fast the wind is other than "breeze", "windy", and "hurricane") and then use a device to check how fast the wind is actually blowing. Repeat this for a number of weeks or months until you are fairly good at approximating wind speed. After having done this and, obviously, throwing your discs in these various wind speeds you should have collected enough experience and empirical information to actually improve your wind play.

I don't know how much I care for the idea of putting actual "mph" measurements on particular discs, but being able to measure and play the wind more accurately couldn't hurt.

Just a thought!