Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Putting Grip?

How tight or loose do you grip your putter when putting? Do you apply much pressure with your thumb? I feel like my thumb moves on the disc before release. Is this a bad thing?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 54
What type of putting motion do you use? I would think a stagger stance spin putter will need more grip than a straddle lofting type.

I personally hold pretty loose with a fan grip and the thumb more toward the center.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 19
I spin putt and have a bit of a pinch between my middle finger and thumb. The rim sits on my pointer finger and my other two fingers are under the flight plate. (Fan grip.)
Orienting the disc this way makes it stable in my hand and the pinch between middle finger and thumb creates the pivot point. (I "spin" the disc from about 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock to 12:00 o'clock when I putt.)

If you're push putting...I have no idea.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I spin putt and have a bit of a pinch between my middle finger and thumb. The rim sits on my pointer finger and my other two fingers are under the flight plate. (Fan grip.)
Orienting the disc this way makes it stable in my hand and the pinch between middle finger and thumb creates the pivot point. (I "spin" the disc from about 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock to 12:00 o'clock when I putt.)

If you're push putting...I have no idea.

My grip is very similar to that of Broken Shoulder only it sounds like his pointer (index) finger sits just under the rim where as I actually have my index finger resting along the outside bead of the disc and my grip is firm enough that there is no slippage until the release but it's not a death grip either.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Par Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WBwNtbQIQ
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Push putter, and the damn thing almost falls out of my hand. So loose.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
I find i have most success, and i use the term liberally, with a soft fan grip.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 59
I'm a "push putter" & my grip is firm but not a death grip. I use a fan grip. I apply pressure with all my fingers but I apply more pressure on the back of my grip (between my palm, pinky & ring finger). I keep my middle, ring & pinky fingers spread out on the underside of the flight plate. Some people stack their middle, ring & pinky fingers on top of each other on the rim, I prefer to keep them fanned out. I feel keeping my fingers fanned out helps me control the flight plate more than if I stack my fingers. I like to putt with beaded putters, I use a KC Aviar. I find that the bead fits nicely between the first joint of my index finger. I feel always having the bead in between the joint of my finger allows me to have a more consistent & smooth release than I would get with a beadless putter. It may not be true for everyone but I've noticed a lot of "spin putters" tend to grip tighter between their thumb & index finger than in the back of their grip.

I take a lot of my putting technique & philosophy from Dave Feldberg. Here's a Youtube video of a putting clinic he did where he talks about & demonstrates various aspects of putting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM

I posted a similar thread a while back. My problem was as I swing my arm toward the basket, the disc becomes very heavy, and is literally pulling away from my grip, and I could feel it slipping under my thumb. Not sure if this is the same as your problem, but my solution was two parts, changing grip wasn't really the solution (I'm still experimenting there):

1. I was accelerating the disc too early and the disc was trying to eject too low in my swing. Start slow then accelerate higher (above hip height).

2. I needed more forward thrust as I was accelerating. I was all pendulum not enough forward lunge. I practiced by literally making myself foot fault (fall forward) on all all of my putts one night in my garage.

Combine these two.

This helped me. Hope it helps you. Also, it doesn't hurt to experiment with grip.