Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
Having been a member of this site for a very long time,....
Yanni, is that you? In Smyrna, TN?!?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
However, Flip seems to catch a lot of flak on this site, and I'm curious where that comes from. Maybe my perception will change after I get a chance to play the course in a couple weeks.
I agree with you that Flip catches a lot of flak, and I hope you enjoy your round there. It's an awesome course.

I think Flip, like MM and PF right now, catches a lot of flak from people who have never played it and look at nothing more than the distance posted online. I'd rather play a 240' hole with an interesting fairway than a wide open 400' hole...but we honestly have no idea about hole design until we step on the tee.

In short, a lot of folks like to think their home course is the best because they put down wood chips around the green and cleared out some undergrowth on a work day. When you are part of a local club, the course becomes a part of you. The thought that another course could be superior is tough to deal with. Just my opinion on the "Home Boy Bias".

Enjoy Flip City!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm a TR.

I not only have played MM, but spent a few work days installing it.

That said, I would put it at 4 stars. There are shortcomings that will be improved over time. Anybody who's been to Phantom knows how OCD Paulie is.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 230
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just played Magic Meadows, Phantom Falls, and Beaver Ranch. As far as Magic Meadows being a "pitch n putt", well it is not. Remember that 250' flat is waaaayyyyy different than 250' straight up hill through a narrow grove of trees to a basket hidden behind a giant rock. MM plays much longer than it looks at paper. Not to mention the effect the altitude has on how you feel (get winded easier) and how the disc flies (makes them more stable changing the flight path that you are used to.) I don't think MM is a top 10 course for other reasons (see review for more details if you want), but still a very nice course.