Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
I wasnt able to throw a lot tonight but I did try a mix of drivers and mid range, and the mid range discs had a better feel of being ripped out of my hand on my backhand and flew really nice. The shark was the best feel followed by my wolf and the kite wasnt bad. My throws tonight where only about 20' from my furthered foehand throw.

What I have noticed, is my forehand does not take near the effort to get the same distance as my backhand thow. However tonight my forehand was horrible for my release. Its to be expected though as i am new and really havent thrown a lot.

Thanks for all the help so far, especially on the mid range discs. That right there really gave me an idea on how a good throw should feel. Im.going to start studying more vids to get some better technique. Right now I am taking 1 step throws to take the approach out of the mix.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
What will be fun (at least it was for me) is when disc's start to have their own personality. For a while they will all seem pretty much the same. But once you get more consistency you start noticing personality in disc. It's awesome when they actually start to behave.

Forehand - my biggest learning curve on that one was slowing my arm speed, getting more snap and keep that palm pointing at the sky! High arm speed will give you that flutter when released. More snap with your wrist will get more more distance from glide and turning your wrist over will just get you in big trouble.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
What will be fun (at least it was for me) is when disc's start to have their own personality. For a while they will all seem pretty much the same. But once you get more consistency you start noticing personality in disc. It's awesome when they actually start to behave.

Forehand - my biggest learning curve on that one was slowing my arm speed, getting more snap and keep that palm pointing at the sky! High arm speed will give you that flutter when released. More snap with your wrist will get more more distance from glide and turning your wrist over will just get you in big trouble.
I wish it would've only taken me months to figure this out (like you) instead of stubborn years...

We still need to play a round at Crystal Lake sometime.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
I'd be in for Crystal Lake, as well. I grew up in BD...so yes, I'm a Golden Beaver. About an hour drive, but I'd hit Waupun along the way to balance it out.

Funny story...I was a DJ at the (now torn down ) roller rink across the water from the DG course.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritothedog View Post
Drop the long range drivers and pick up some mids. This applies to both of you. The Leopard is about as high a speed as a beginner should use. I used a Leopard when I first really started playing for years before getting a "Distance" driver and have always kept one in my bag.

My wife throws much better forehand than backhand so your wife may want to try that if she hasn't already.

Hope this all works out for you. Welcome to the sport.
I still have a Leopard in my bag too. It was one of the first discs I bought, a 150g Champion Leopard, still carry one and I use it all the time. So does the wife.

I might have missed it, but does the wife play from shorter tees? If not then shame on the both of you.

Two weeks isn't very long so keep encouraging her, and see if she'll watch some videos. It might help you both.

Finally get her a Diamond. And don't forget to remind her that Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I'd be in for Crystal Lake, as well. I grew up in BD...so yes, I'm a Golden Beaver. About an hour drive, but I'd hit Waupun along the way to balance it out.

Funny story...I was a DJ at the (now torn down ) roller rink across the water from the DG course.
We should do it up. I'd be willing to play both WARP and BD as well. This weekend looks bad, but maybe in August before the snow flies, LOL.

(You said Golden Beaver)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
I have a few softball tournaments taking up some weekends going forward, with the State tourney being this weekend. And Grateful Garcia Gathering next weekend in Black River Falls...which gives me an excuse to get over to Justin Trails. A full on dirty hippy weekend...yessss.

I'll hit ya up when I know of some free weekends.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
HeavyCritters & Stardoggy - Lets do it, but I have a freakish schedule with Art fairs and a LAST USS Indianoplis Reunion (father in law is one of the last living survivors). My next free weekend is the last week of August!

There is a 174g red DX T-bird 20 feet into the lake on 9, about even with that tree! Go for it!

Turned the palm over, got in trouble. :-)

BTW - I shot Johnny Depp in BD!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Last weekend in August works for me.

I was supposed to be heading to the Apostle Islands this weekend (with a stop off in Highbridge), but had to bail due to other committments.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Years Playing: 2.1
I'll throw out an idea to teach her how it's supposed to feel(I was showing my six year old grandson and it worked for him).I held onto a small towel and have him"crank"a lawn mower,about the third pull I told him to pull real hard and as he did I let go and he snapped the towel with a good follow through.Now he looks a little funny because before he throws he'll crank twice then throw.But for a six year old it works.