Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
this shot used to give me huge problems.

i started using a grippy disc to help feel the release point better - ie zero soft pure. then i just twist my torso back and reach, throw like a normal standstill drive.

that plastic has truly made the difference for me on this shot. it provides you with so much more feel as to where your shot is going to go.

i know sometimes it's going to be a bit long, but honestly i just hyzerflip the same disc when that happens.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
I find just using a putter & doing a one step or slow X-Step works best for me depending on the distance. If the shot is 200ft or less I'll do a one step & if its 200-275ft I'll do a slower X-Step than normal. Just make sure to keep it smooth. Also I recommend trying the Climo grip, It works great for me.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 108
Putt with a lid like I do! I love putting hard with a line drive straight into the chains. Try a Birdie...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Zephyr is becoming my favorite upshot disc. My buddy is absolutely deadly with it; I know every round he'll sink 1 or 2 80' putts with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
I reach back less, keep my shoulders perpendicular to where I'm throwing, and adjust the speed with which I pull accordingly. Unlike a drive, where I turn my hips and shoulders away, an approach shot like you're describing is all arm and wrist. I also keep the nose up to varying degrees.. A lot for a soft floating shot and a soft landing. That's really important for shorter shots. It's also important to keep the grip (fan grip for me for this shot) firm.. And keep an acceleration to the end. A loose grip will make for an unpredictable shot. If the grip is firm, the only variable in this stance is arm speed, which makes it easier. I've had lots of rounds where I have nothing but drop ins or long putts.. No 20 footers because this approach works so well for me.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphancock1 View Post
an approach shot like you're describing is all arm and wrist. I also keep the nose up to varying degrees
You never want the nose up not even when your putting
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
Wow...all knowing disc god. Really? I use a nose up stall/elevator shot a lot, especially at this distance with a Super Puppy. Some like a Rattler for this....Really valuable shot that should be learned. The closer you get to the basket, the less "rules" there are. So many ways to approach and putt.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Hahaha, ok, I'll keep that in mind as I keep parking these approach shots..
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Air bounces are both fun and sometimes necessary, especially at this short approach distance.

For OP, the best thing is to short reachback or none at all. Just a "right pec drill" type of throw to shorten your distance.

Jump putting outside of your range is another way to land accurately at the basket.

Nothing beats practice! Line your approach discs up at 10 or 20' intervals away from a basket or target and practice dialing back your power landing 'em close, inside 20' at least.

Lastly, most everyone has a "problem distance." If I'm uncomfortable with my approach - eg, too long for a jump-approach and too short for a fluid bh - then you can just throw a little big dumb hyzer (BDH) shot at it. Works BH or FH. you can use a little extra power but not go too far. You'll still have to dial back from 80% though!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Birdie Member

Yeah I'm also confused why you wouldn't want the nose up? That's one of the best ways for me to control distance, especially nose up flex shots within 100'