#201  
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 819
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
I attended the 'Sexy-Beast' 3 disc challenge last night in San Francisco, and someone asked Paul and Nate what their favorite course was. Nate's is Milo in the BSF layout. Paul's was some finnish course nicknamed 'the beast'. So, just keeping things open in terms of which course is on the favorite list of top players...
While it's really interesting to hear about the favorite courses of super gold players, it's not surprising at all when that doesn't exactly match up with what you see here. Courses generally get rated based on how they appeal to a range of skill levels, mostly focused on red level to blue level players since that encompasses the majority of the site's users. Most of us aren't at all qualified to evaluate a course on how it would play for the top players, and I don't think it would be all that helpful to make that the defining characteristics of the rating system here when almost none of those players are using the reviews and course ratings here.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM
bhadella bhadella is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
I attended the 'Sexy-Beast' 3 disc challenge last night in San Francisco, and someone asked Paul and Nate what their favorite course was. Nate's is Milo in the BSF layout. Paul's was some finnish course nicknamed 'the beast'. So, just keeping things open in terms of which course is on the favorite list of top players...
Here's the beast:

http://opendiscgolf.com/competitor-i...on/the-course/
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Peterb Peterb is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 73
Posts: 889
thanks for the link. It does look awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 PM
MikeM MikeM is offline
* Condor Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Just like you're entitled to your opinion, others are entitled to theirs. You're absolutely free to share yours in the form of a review, but other people are free to share theirs by voting up or down. That doesn't mean anybody is saying you're not allowed to love that course, just that they didn't find what you wrote helpful overall.
Yeah, or they saw 5 stars, didn't read what I wrote, and instinctually voted negative because they don't agree with 5 stars...either one...
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 819
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Yeah, or they saw 5 stars, didn't read what I wrote, and instinctually voted negative because they don't agree with 5 stars...either one...
Again, just because that's not how you (or I) choose to use the voting feature doesn't mean those people aren't entitled to their opinion. You want people to respect your right to write whatever you want about the course, but you don't think others have a right to disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM
MikeM MikeM is offline
* Condor Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Again, just because that's not how you (or I) choose to use the voting feature doesn't mean those people aren't entitled to their opinion. You want people to respect your right to write whatever you want about the course, but you don't think others have a right to disagree.
Can't argue with that. Just a shame that negativity outweighs positivity on many reviews that people spend a lot of time and thought on. I notice it a common theme amongst the courses around me. A lot of thumbs down for in detail reviews seemingly for no other reason than the person reviewing rated the course too highly...Like you said, can't change people's opinions. And like I said in the first place, that is why I don't let opposing opinions bother me too much. I just try my best to be nice and only write positive things. I find that a great M.O. in life and on this site . But, nobody is perfect, including myself. My disc golf game can attest to that.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-21-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 PM
urwatuh8's Avatar
urwatuh8 urwatuh8 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Courses Played: 207
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Can't argue with that. Just a shame that negativity outweighs positivity on many reviews that people spend a lot of time and thought on. I notice it a common theme amongst the courses around me. A lot of thumbs down for in detail reviews seemingly for no other reason than the person reviewing rated the course too highly...Like you said, can't change people's opinions. And like I said in the first place, that is why I don't let opposing opinions bother me too much. I just try my best to be nice and only write positive things. I find that a great M.O. in life and on this site . But, nobody is perfect, including myself. My disc golf game can attest to that.
I like that the review form has explicit pro and con sections. I would definitely upvote a review where someone likes the course much better than me, but they give the reasons why I might not like (even if those negatives aren't a big deal to the reviewer). Even the very best courses have negatives.

Negatives *are* very useful. People use this site to decide which courses to play with the time they have, and knowing which courses have things they might not like is valuable. If you refuse to write down negatives, people should be voting your reviews as not helpful. (Obviously on a great course, the positives list will be much longer than the negatives.)
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 06-15-2015, 03:14 PM
paulw paulw is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 111
Posts: 358
nockamixon's #18 green has had a ton of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
The gaps on the approach are not too small if you've gotten close enough. Using the picture of 16 (7) as an example, that's a basket you expect to get to off the tee. Your picture is deceiving since you're not approaching from that direction or that spot -- you're approaching from on top of a hill and if you make a great throw you're parked, if you make an ok throw it's a putt, etc. as with most of those pictures you're looking at.

Of all the basket locations at Nockamixon the one that's least fair you haven't shown is old 9 new 18? (I think). You can throw a good drive and a good approach and still have no putt, otherwise the rest of the place has some of the most challenging, while still fair basket locations around.
Just got back out there for a couple rounds Saturday -- 18's basket (formerly 9) has had a whole bunch of clearing done to make it into a much fairer approach. You can see the basket from much farther away also, which is always a good thing.
Reply With Quote
 

  #209  
Old 06-16-2015, 12:39 PM
WFreed WFreed is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 14
Having played some great texas courses, and a majority of the best courses in michigan (including flip city and blue gill) nockamixon is still the best course I have ever played.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.