Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
The front is where the most sand builds up but I haven't noticed a change in the grip of the pad. KB has been in @18 months now, I will take note of any material wear the next time I play it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Par Member

Whoever watched the USDGC coverage, looks like they used the grid tees
on the new Hole 18 off the dock. Any complaints?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Looks interesting. I have a course near me that tried astro turf tee pads like the new fake grass athletic fields they are putting in the fancy places. It is holding up well but takes some getting used to as they grip differently. My lines were really off the first few holes as I was adjusting to the difference. Is there any adjustment with these tee pads?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Unfrotunately one of our local parks departments decided to put down the plastic grid and fill it with a granite gravel . . . once the gravel gets moved away the plastic grid is more slippery than wet muddy turf . . . we are hoping since Abendschein Park is currently being remodelled, that they see the error int heir ways and they end up deciding concrete would be better.

I think they did this without consulting anyone . . and they thought they were going to be preventing further compaction and erosion, but it just makes me want to play off to the side even more becuase it is so inconsistent and dangerous.

The worst part . . . they did the same thing around some baskets so a perfect parkjob might turn into a 45' putt when it skips off the grid/gravel. Terrible stuff if you ask me and there are better alternatives!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Birdie Member

Takman,

Where would I source this material (the rigid "hex plastic" that you've mentioned)? I'm definitely interested in getting more information about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Karl
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 30
http://www.stable-grid.com/ Check with them- they say they have worked with Innova.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 72
I don't know how true it is, but I was talking with a guy that said these can be just as expensive as concrete teepads. If that were the case, I'd just rather have concrete.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I don't know how true it is, but I was talking with a guy that said these can be just as expensive as concrete teepads. If that were the case, I'd just rather have concrete.
Yes, often these alternative materials end up being very similar in per tee costs. Especially if the foundation needs extra prep, or framed, or infilled with special material, requires returning maintenance or earlier replacement cycle, etc..

However, most of these alternatives come into play for courses where the traditional concrete approach has been taken off the table for some reason. By private land owner request, by mandate for a park, hard line enviro stance, by whatever. For whatever reason - for good reason, or more likely for not good reason - an alternative is needed.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by agapedad View Post
http://www.stable-grid.com/ Check with them- they say they have worked with Innova.
That might be something worth looking into....

Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Takman,

Where would I source this material (the rigid "hex plastic" that you've mentioned)? I'm definitely interested in getting more information about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Karl
Its an Innova product, I would contact the East Coast facility (Charlotte) directly.