Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames1014 View Post
right gotcha. too bad there's no int. masters division.
I would say that the adv masters is, for the most part, at about the same level as int in most tournaments. I'm in int right now, next year I'll hit 40 and will start playing adv masters which I'm definitely looking forward to.

I'm in Indy... what tournament did you play yesterday? I wasn't aware that there were any in our area...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdphil View Post
I would say that the adv masters is, for the most part, at about the same level as int in most tournaments. I'm in int right now, next year I'll hit 40 and will start playing adv masters which I'm definitely looking forward to.

I'm in Indy... what tournament did you play yesterday? I wasn't aware that there were any in our area...
A group of us locals went down to the Seviren Lang Memorial down in Georgetown.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
I guess I'm going the opposite direction here... but I love the am "payouts" and probably wouldn't play otherwise. I don't need a silly trophy to sit in my office. The excitement and anticipation of how much my voucher will be and what I can spend it on is part of the whole tournament feel that I love.

I'll probably never play pro... so without the am voucher system, I'd probably just play leagues instead. For now, I travel far and wide across the country boosting the economy on the hope I get to walk through the Disc Golf Monkey trailer to get new discs/apparel/swag.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but wanted to chime in...

Totally respect your right to play for the reason you want but this is absolutely baffling to me. You're saying you play for the "payout" and that the only reason you travel all over the country is to spend money on the hopes you get a return on that investment to spend on plastic. Honestly that sounds like you're pretending to live the touring pro life. Why not spend your money on the plastic and just play leagues like you said if you're not even playing the tournaments for actual playing? You could probably save a boat load of money.

I don't think I'll ever understand this mentality but I do see it a lot. I guess it's fine if you aren't one of the people playing well below their skill level just to win a voucher. I played with a guy in the GBO who said he intentionally plays small easy tourneys in TX and keeps his rating below the Intermediate cutoff just so he can come up to the GBO and clean up. That's crazy to me. He could have saved the lodging, the gas, the entrance fee, and just spent that on plastic and made off better. Silly what seeing your name at the top of some list will make you do.